Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Long Lost Love

Sidenote: Surprisingly, this post isn't about Addison. We still love her of course - but I feel I the need to mix it up a bit to help everyone realize that we don't just sit around and stare at Addison all day, everyday, and post blogs about her. Although, most days that is pretty fun to do! ;-)

This post is about my long lost love. For those who are unaware, I've had an on again, off again relationship with Dr. P. It's been a long-term type thing. I swear my siblings and I used to drink it in our baby bottles. I can't remember my life BEFORE Dr. Pepper.

My Grandparents were my suppliers for the most part. Seriously, every week my Grandpa would drive straight to the Dr. Pepper bottling plant in town, back up his pick-up truck to the loading dock, and have them haul off the empty bottles and load him up with the filled bottles. And as a result of being a frequent customer, I think we had stock in the "I'm a Pepper" t-shirts. I think we had 30 shirts within my family alone - that doesn't even count my cousins who were "Pepper's" too. I remember wearing them for pajamas when I was a little girl. So, needless to say, I think my family single handedly kept the Dr. Pepper company in business for years.


Until now that is. Once again I've ended my love-affair. Don't get me wrong - I miss the drink terribly. Life is not near as exciting as it used to be. I think about it often and sit and stare longingly at the soda fountain while I drink my water when I eat at Subway. It's not normal.

However, one thing I don't miss, is the insane amount of pounds it packed on me over the years. And the fact, I never understood the word "moderation" when I was chugging it daily, multiple times during the day. I absolutely LOVE drinking Dr. Pepper. It was the cure for my "sweet tooth" that some of you satisfy with chocolate. (And don't even get me started on the Sonic Happy Hour which happens to reside less than 1 mile from my front door - I think they knew me by name).

So, in a quest to be skinny, and to learn to live life without a Route 44 in my hand, I've hopefully given it up for the last time this time. I've realized, if it were alcohol, I'd be in a 12 step program right about now....and failing miserably. So, in the future, if any of you see me with a D.P. in my hand, you have my permission to knock it to the ground and stomp on it.

8 comments:

Sheri said...

lol. I remember being jealous that you guys always got soda on trips. (Except I call it pop, but here it's called soda and I'm trying to fit in. ;))

Natalie said...

Can we knock you to the ground, steal it and drink it ourselves? Just kidding. Good luck!

Lisa R said...

I feel your pain. I am still nursing Kaitlyn so I have had to cut back a ton!

Robbie and Shay said...

shannon - quitting soda is so over-rated. tried it and failed. mtn. dew is my weakness. good luck to you. your a much better person than me.

Deleen said...

You know when I had my first baby I made my husband have a can of Dr. Pepper in the delivery room for as soon as I got the kid out.

I didn't even drink it, it was just good to have it there.

I hadn't had a Dr. Pepper for years after that. It gave me cavities. And then one day last summer I went through a drive through and ordered root beer and took a big swig. Holy cow! That's the best root beer ever! One more taste .... Dr. Pepper? No wonder!

The LaBrue Crew said...

I just may have to watch this spectacle from the sidelines. I still to this day carry on a love affair with my cherished Dr. Pepper. It's sad and I admit I'm addicted. I think about changing...I want to change but then I tip another one back. I've tried to stop a few times and Kyle as resorted to stating "Maybe,you should keep drinking Dr.Pepper,you're a much happier person when you have one"...isn't that so sad and pathetic? Shannon, I'm very proud and jealous off all your hard work!

Dana said...

You can do it, you can!!! You and brad can have meetings together if you have withdrawls. It will be worth it when the weight melts away too, whever brad gives up the soda 7 pounds drops off him FAST!

Colton Anne said...

I'd like to see the look on your face when someone knocks it out of your hands!! I think you need to put a bug in Nick's ear!!