Monday, January 17, 2011

Who's The Boss?


Not only was I in L-O-V-E w/Tony Danza in my pre-pubescent years, I wanted to BE Sam. Tony was such a hunk (yes, even at 12 I could see this) and Sam was so cute and spunky. It was the rest of the cast that I could care less about. Especially Angela....she was annoying, not cute and not deserving of Tony.

But before I digress too deep into my baggage from my formative years let me inform you that this post doesn't really have a thing to do with the show: "Who's The Boss." This post is actually a platform to air a dirty little secret of mine....okay not necessarily "dirty" but a secret nonetheless.

Am I the only one who finds a twisted satisfaction in FINALLY being a parent and thus being the one in charge? Maybe it's because I was in trouble throughout 99% of my childhood (not really), or maybe it was because I had a bossy older sister (really), or maybe I just felt suppressed being surrounded by grown-ups who seemed to find satisfaction in squelching my dreams (???).

Okay, maybe it's none of those silly things and it's more of the fact I spent about 10+ years single and waiting for marriage and children and now I can't get over how fun it is to be the one to say the words: "Because I told you so!"

Honestly, Addison is really a well behaved child. She only has a few typical "toddler moments" so it's not really necessary to force the parent power on her.....but I like to anyway. ;-)

Mostly its the days where I decide the following:

  • "Hey! Lets have McDonald's for lunch! And Addison, you get a happy meal!! :D" - I can count on one hand - okay two fingers - the times I ever enjoyed my own happy meal at McD's. Mostly we were lucky to have a $1 whopper cut in half and even luckier if we got to grab 3 fries from the community bag.
  • "Let's go swimming....everyday!" - When I was little, I was half-fish. The only thing I lived for was the next swimming pool and could spend all.day.long there if my parents ever let me.
  • "Listen to Mommy!" - Honestly, Addison is a good little listener but she is at the age where it takes a few minutes to decide if she is really going to or not. It's fun to be the stubborn one and win when she challenges me. Not sure if I should be getting this excited from "winning?"
  • "Lets go to Silver Dollar City...for no reason!" - Okay this one I've only done once or twice so far but it's all about to change this year since Santa gave us some season passes and I plan on wearing them out.
  • "It's nap time!" - An especially fun one since her nap time=my nap time. Gotta enjoy it while it lasts right?
Okay, in all honestly I did have a wonderful childhood. Even if we only got to dine on half whoppers every other fifth tuesday. My Mom wasn't really bossy: case in point, she'd let us soap up her linoleum floor so we could slip n slide around on it and "mop the floor" at the same time. And my parents tried hard to provide me with adequate swimming opportunities. Even my Dad would walk me down to the campground pool the minute we arrived, no matter the time of day, just by ourselves. And we grew up going to Silver Dollar City so many times I don't remember ever asking to go and not getting to.

BUT, they did make us take naps! (mean parents!) Only on Sundays though. And really all we had to do was lay down and count to 100 3x's before we could get up.

So, why do I find such joy in being the boss now? No idea really - it's just fun! The parent power is thrilling whether it's in the good times or the bad. Mostly, I guess it's just that I know that I'll always get the last word. Now if I can only train John to obey me as well as Addison does. ;-)

2 comments:

She Loves To Make said...

haha this was fun to read. I love it too :)

What's up with the Walkers! said...

By bossy sister I assume you men Cassie! Did you forget to clarify that at the end too... How your sister wasn't really bossy but really cool;)