Sunday, February 23, 2014

Cousin Chaos

We had the opportunity to celebrate a belated "Grandpa Bell Christmas" in Kansas City.  It was the brainchild of Michelle and Colton and we all joined in to help make it a party.  Granted, it was WELL past Christmas but really, who even needs a good reason to take a road trip to visit cousins?  It was jam-packed full of lots of fun but was definitely worth it in the end.  

I was brave enough and drove the three kiddos by myself since John had to stay behind for work.  It actually wasn't too bad and the kids were very nice to me almost the whole time.  They must have known I was "single-parenting" it.  

I decided to head out on our 3 1/2 hour drive at night.  Yes, some may think it's silly but it was all part of my plan.  And it worked beautifully.  Within an hour the kids were sawing logs.  I let them watch a movie for the first hour in exchange for "bed-time" in the car afterward.  They fell for it and I think they even enjoyed the change-up of their usual bed-time at home.  It's so much more exciting in a car ya know.  Plus, I think I deprived them of naps that day so they'd be extra tired.  This ain't my first rodeo.  ;)

So, with the kids sound asleep and me enjoying having the highway all to myself, it was quite a relaxing trip.  I even indulged in some late night treats on my journey and didn't even have to share!  Can you say "vacation?"  My mother of course, was worried sick about me.  She spent days insisting I didn't take on the venture but I didn't listen.  After all, I am a grown adult that is 35 years old.  Instead, I allowed her to talk to me during my whole drive so she could be convinced that I was staying awake.  I wasn't the least bit tired but it did pass the time just chatting with her along the way.  We rolled into Aunt Michelle's house at 12:30 and made a somewhat smooth transition with sleeping kids.  All except for Jonas and Brooklyn who decided it was morning time at 1:30 am and fought me tooth and nail to get a few minutes of shut-eye.  

After that, the weekend was a blur.  I was in half-asleep mode all day Saturday but luckily we were so busy doing stuff that I never had the chance to hold still OR fall asleep.  Michelle was also very gracious in letting me nap both days as well.  She was just thrilled I came on our adventure in the first place so she insisted on making it worth my while.

Take a look at all of our fun in pictures!

Brooklyn got in a little Grandpa time.  This was during her 2-week "I only want my mommy" mode so we were lucky to get a picture of her not crying.  It didn't last long.
Addison having fun with the musical instruments at Wonderscope.

Jonas prefers to treat the violin as a guitar.  
Saturday bath night.  Michelle and Colton get the reward for fastest child bathers this side of the county.  It was all a blur as I sat and watched them.  I was just thankful I didn't have to do the dreaded bath time routine.  
All the cousins posing after they did their valentine exchange. 
Addison had everyone laughing when she threw a loop into the "Valentine Walk" (cake walk) game.  For as much as she likes to "be shy" she just loves when she's the center of attention too.  She was hilarious. 
Jonas and Brady.  Cousin buddies.  Shooting the breeze.
What isn't shown in these pictures is the endless amount of fun we all had as we rushed from one event to the next.  It was a whirlwind weekend but Grandpa enjoyed himself so it was worth it.  I'd have to say we enjoyed ourselves too.  Nothing like pure exhaustion when it's time to make a 3 1/2 hour drive home by yourself with three little kids.  They slept wonderfully.

Happy Belated Christmas Grandpa Bell!  We love cousins!

0 comments: