Monday, November 23, 2009

Under Appreciated Toe


This post is devoted to the most under appreciated toe of all ten toes. Yes, that's right...the poor little baby toe. Does anyone know the huge role it plays in just about everything that every day life encounters? I mean it's not there just to look cute. It literally gets used a million times a day just keeping your balance.

Recently, I was unlucky enough to learn first-hand how under appreciated and ever-involved this toe is. Like most people, I spent the majority of my life completely oblivious. Don't get me wrong, I have a toe fetish, but that mostly consisted of just making sure they were manicured and clean and painted and cute - especially that cute little pudgy baby toe. However, a couple of months ago my eyes were finally opened to reality. They weren't put there just to look cute.

John, Addison, and I went to Walmart for a late night venture. I had made it through almost the whole visit when "it happened". Yep, that's right in one split second I experienced some painstaking ..... well pain. I swung my foot smack dab into the wheel of the grocery cart. Honestly, I couldn't have aimed any better if I had tried. Luckily John was there to take care of the runaway cart, and Addison, while I ran to the nearest aisle and tried my hardest to hold back my dinner from visiting me again. This was PAIN people!! Throbbing, pulsating pain!! Don't get me wrong....I'm notorious for bumping my toes into things all the time...whether the lights are on or not. My toes have had a pretty rough road in life. After all, Grace is not my middle name. And while I'm sure you may agree that it's never "fun" to jam a toe on anything.....I must say this was NOTHING compared to what I have experienced before.

Within seconds, I was convinced I had broke it. My brain went wild....what do they do for broken toes? I've never seen one in a cast after all...especially the teeny tiny baby one. Immediately I started thinking of treatment and how I could finagle a toothpick and a little tape into some type of "toe-splint". I managed to keep my brain occupied on the various therapies I would put myself on in the coming days while I hobbled around Walmart, still in excruciating pain. Luckily we had an extended family weekend that following day and I got the opportunity to have my bro-in-law doc examine it to find out the extent of the injuries. Despite that it now had an ugly bruise growing across half of my foot - he assured me that it wasn't broken in a "serious" area. So I spent the next two months hobbling, crying, having people step on it, and walking in flip flops, and have just now gotten to the point that I can wear normal shoes and not wince in pain with each step.

So, in case you weren't aware, your little teeny tiny baby toe is a HUGE participant in just about everything you do! I must declare a "Baby Toe" day so we can all start giving them more appreciation for everything they do. So, this being the week of Thanksgiving, I urge you to lean down, give your toe a kiss and a great big THANK YOU! I know I will. I'm glad to have you back baby toe! Woot! I'll never take you for granted again.

1 comments:

Colton Anne said...

Ouch! I remember edward broke his toe...I think it was his little toe and he had to wear a little boot. It had a hard, non-bendable sole. Didn't look comfortable. Glad your toe is getting better!