Friday, November 6, 2009

My Other Man


Yes, it's true. John is not the only man in my life. Of course he knowingly accepted this fact once he learned of the "other man" that came before him. Granted the "other man" is happily married and of course I am too but he still exists....he just doesn't know it yet. That's right, my other obsession is none other than Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20. I've been a fan dating back to his early days when no one else even knew him. I admittedly had a shrine of print-outs of him taped to the ceiling in my bedroom in college. Yes, it is sad I realize but these are the requirements of being a devoted fan.

This past Saturday was the fifth time I've seen him in concert. Every single one of them did not disappoint. He puts on a great concert. However, this one worked its way up the ranks as the best one yet. Mostly because we enjoyed free tickets (thanks to bro-in-law Kyle) and sat on the "Fox Club" level in a box seat and enjoyed food while we belted out every tune right along w/Rob. Granted I've eaten chicken strips before. And I've seen Rob Thomas in concert before. But I've never done BOTH at the same time!! Could life get any better? I won't dwell on the fact that it involved spending Addison's first Halloween on the road, in STL, without the daddy. Yes, John was given the option of coming with but I guess the jealousy was too strong to endure. That or it could be the fact that it was a LONG drive for someone he didn't share the same interest in as I did. Regardless it was still a fun time and I made sure to celebrate Addison's Halloween before, during, and after...just to make it up to her.

Thanks Kyle, Cassie, and Jill for sharing this special night with me. Since it was Halloween night the whole band dressed up in different costumes. Rob Thomas came out as Michael Jackson and sang Thriller as his opener. It was classic and memorable.
All in all it was worth the long hours spent in the car. Addison was such a trooper and did so well in the car seat the whole way there and back. She's so accommodating in supporting her Mom's crazed obsession.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

So fun! I completely get it about Rob, I've had a little crushy for many years myself. Wish I could have come!

Deleen said...

Honestly, he does put on a mean concert. You couldn't obsess over a more desserving musician.

Colton Anne said...

Fun! And of course life couldn't get any better for you...chicken strips at a Rob Thomas concert!! I know what to get you for Christmas now! :)