Sunday, September 12, 2010

Lost & Found

Thanks to little Miss Addibell, we all experienced a "first" this past weekend. And frankly it's a first that I would also LOVE to be our last (but I highly doubt it is).

We lost this little girly:


Despite the scare, the conditions were a little better than you'd expect. We spent Saturday just lounging around at home and both Mommy & Daddy were sidetracked with something. Usually Addison is either underfoot or off playing happily by herself. I think I had just hung up the phone and checked for her in a couple of rooms before I casually asked John where she was. He didn't know. Then we both slowly started to panic as we ran from room to room, checking her typical hiding places: closets, bathrooms, etc - with no luck. We called for her over and over and she never came toddling out. Panic began to set in even more. We started checking tubs, locked doors, the backyard, front yard - knowing there was no way she could unlock any of them herself. Of course my mind was imagining all sorts of scary things during the process. Luckily after only about 30 seconds (which seemed like 30 minutes), John found her hiding behind the glider in her bedroom. Of course she thought she was in trouble since she was playing with the Library books that Mommy hides back there so she doesn't ruin them. Maybe that is why she didn't come out when we called her. Either that or she was stuck pretty good behind the chair. Either way we were both sooo relieved to find her that I didn't care if she tore out 20 pages of the library books - I would have happily paid it. (Shhhh...don't tell her that).


Anyway, it was definitely an experience I hope to never go through again. I can't imagine if we were in a public place with all kinds of escape routes and creepy strangers. It made me sad for those parents who lose their children to kidnappings. How could one even go on living without knowing where their little child was? I could barely function for my 30 seconds. It definitely put things into perspective for me. Now I'm a little more grateful when she spends her time right underneath my feet.

3 comments:

She Loves The Color Pink said...

I started stressing out just reading this! I can't imagine what a parent goes through when their child is kidnapped. Glad you found her! Sorry you have to pay for the library book :)

The LaBrue Crew said...

I've had this happen a couple of times too, luckily all at home. It was one of those things were Kyle thought she was with me or I was watching her and vice versa. Very sinking feeling and yet so relieving and wonderful once they're found!

Darrell and Alissa said...

I hate that feeling! We have "lost" all of our children for a few minutes- except Baylee... I hope to not have it happen. It is the hardest feeling to describe, the sick and panic filled seconds that seem like minutes!
Glad you found her happily reading!