Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Three Year Old Fun

I need to post this before my pregnancy brain forgets.  I'm trying to document more of our life on this blog....especially since Instagram seems to be my "go-to" when it's discussing these cute kiddos and all the things we do.


However, I must first preface this by saying one particular "cute kiddo" was being ANYTHING but cute in this story.  At least in the beginning.

This past weekend, we spent driving through Missouri and attending two of my family's baby blessings.  My niece, Lydia and nephew, Jase were born only 4 days apart from each other and thus their thoughtful Momma's doubled up their blessing days to save us from an extra drive to KC.  They've done this once before with their last set of kids....also born very close together.  I try not to speculate exactly how they've managed to family plan so closely but I am amazed.  They are a close bunch I guess.

Anyway, the weekend was great and there was tons of cousin fun to be had.  John and I also had a chance to enjoy a visit to the KC Temple.  It was so nice to have others watch/entertain our kids.  For a bit there it was like we were living a kid-less life again.  (It was kinda nice...not gonna lie).  However, Saturday evening soon reminded us we had kids.....one of them being a 3 year old that likes to throw fits.  In all honesty, it was a crazy busy weekend of fun and sleep deprived/off schedule kiddos.  I blame most of it on tiredness but it was still unpleasant.  We had headed down to a family picnic about 30 minutes away.  There was going to be an egg hunt and pizza and a park and cousins.  The perfect ingredients for a grand time for the kiddos.  Somewhere along the way Addison decided to begin her fit.  It was precisely right when we buckled her up to leave.  Screaming, flailing, yelling, tears, it was ugly folks.  And John and I were both convinced we could actually "make her be quiet"....ahhh how soon I'm reminded that isn't possible.  At times like these part of me wishes we spanked our kids but then the other part of me realizes that if I did....I wouldn't stop.  It was that frustrating folks.  Finally about 5 minutes into the drive John and I resorted to a more humorous approach.....with a side of ignoring the tantrum behavior.  It still ensued but we chose to listen to music and laugh with each other to make it a little more bearable.  Poor Jonas was such a trooper....apparently he's had experiencing dealing with her behavior too.  He dealt with it better than we even did.  Just sat there like nothing was any different than a typical day/routine.

Anyway, we were lucky enough to listen to the screaming tantrum for the WHOLE drive.  Thirty minutes of painful, ear-piercing, noise that we were supposed to be tuning out.  Instead we sat there amazed at her determination and stubbornness and speculated as to where it came from.....while chuckling under our breath and discussing the consequences that awaited her when we arrived.

Less than 5 minutes from our destination the screaming finally subsided and was replaced with her singing 'Jingle Bells' through sniffling tears.  We both looked at each other and didn't quite know what to do.  When she finished she quietly said "Let's try this again..." and started into a personal rendition of 'Frosty the Snowman'.  It was hilarious and shocking and surprising.  Kudos to her for finally deciding that her original approach wasn't working and her determination to change-it-up.  We all joined her in singing and were so glad our ears finally got the reprieve.  By the time we pulled up to the park, she knew full well that consequences were still coming her way.  She took them like a champ, accepted them, and quietly sat in time-out and helped clean up the van mess she had made.  Then she was able to join in the fun and ended up having a great night after that.


It's amazing how quickly hearts can be softened (hers and ours).  I'm so glad Addison was able to change her fit into a happy song and was willing to accept her consequences.  As much as she can give us fits, she is such a good girl and knows full well when she has to pay the price for the said fit.  She is learning and we are too.  I'm still glad I don't spank my kids - even though it's so tempting at times.  I'm excited to see the progress she has been making in the tantrum department.  I think we are seeing the sunshine on the horizon on this crazy thing they call three year olds.


0 comments: