Friday, March 28, 2008

Building a computer: Un Puten, Puten Deux!

I actually kept a New Years resolution. For three years. In 2005, with a newbishly tricked out water cooled computer, I made a resolution not to buy any new components for my computer. For 12 months. 365 days. 8760 hours. 525,000 minutes...you get the point. Oddly enough I made it a year, and renewed for 2 more. Three full years without any major upgrades. (I got sick of the high maintenance water cooling setup and switched back to a regular air cooled system.) For any gamers who have wandered onto this site, you can relate to this eternity of time with an unchanged gaming rig. Needless to say, my computer is respectable by most standards, but a dinosaur in the competitive gaming world.

The time has (finally) come to build another computer. Instead of the usual process of building a computer: (Drool over product reviews for a few weeks, order parts, wait next to front door until parts arrive, build computer, play games until you develop bed sores on your hamstrings or seizures force you to crush your mouse.), I thought I would do a blog of our build.

Shannon makes quite the lovely assistant for something like this, but to the contrary, I will be the assistant, and Shannon will be the builder of said puter. She is excited to try her hand to build her lil Frankenstein! Masta become studennnn, Studennnn become masssta. :: Insert loud gong ::

Our puter-building adventure will be split up into a few posts:

Part I: Research & Development: Falling in love all over again
Part II: Nesting: What un-pregnant men do while waiting for their parts to arrive.
Part III: The build: Rise of Un Puten, Puten Deux!

Stay tuned!

John

3 comments:

What's up with the Walkers! said...

John, sounds like an exciting time. Michelle makes fun of me when I start researching a new electronics product; spending hours on end on-line reading all the latest reviews. I think we both need a 12-step program for electronics junkies. Good luck with the new build. Michelle and I are in the market for a new laptop, so "let the research begin." Kendall

Sheri said...

lol. Wow! Three years. That IS impressive. I didn't know we were allowed to renew new years resolutions! Then again, I've never made it through the year so I COULD renew it. I started reading this post thinking to myself, "I didn't know Shannon was into computers..." Then I figured it out. :)

Deleen said...

gaming? What games?