Thursday, March 20, 2008

Sundance in the snow

The Honeymoon: After the wonderful wedding we jetted off to a faraway destination known only as "Utah". Yes, some of you may be rathered surprised that either John or I would spend time vacationing in a state we aren't particularly that fond of in the first place. However, we were determined to spend our honeymoon in a cabin in the mountains in the snow. And Vail was a tinge out of our price range. Enter: Sundance, UT. Our arrival brought even more snow and thinking ahead we rented a 4x4 to take us on our adventure. And what an adventure it was!


This is where minor snafu #6 comes into play - the last and final snafu of our wedding. As you may or may not know, I've spent years staying at various hotels, using various hotel soaps, and never EVER had a problem. However, as coincidence has it, the Hilton in STL has a particlar reaction to me and my skin. And sadly before I realized this I managed to soap up my entire self.....thoroughly for that matter. My realization only came after I awoke the next morning to red splotches and immense heat radiating from every pore. If anyone has ever experienced a full body rash, I'm sure you'd agree when I say I would not wish this on my worst enemy! It leaves your legs doing the "jimmy leg" (on an already cramped flight to UT), and taking every brain cell in my head to calm my nerves for the entire 2 hours. Luckily for me I have a wonderful brother-in-law named Kendall that is a physician and doesn't mind waking every hour on the hour to instruct us on how I can obtain temporary peace. When we arrive in UT, John and I stock up on every medication in the book, lather it on, only for seconds of momentary peace before the pain returns. Warm baths, Cortizone, Benadryl, antibiotics, holding very still, all of these did nothing. I even resorted to wrapping myself tightly in towels, extra shirts, etc just to keep my skin from vibrating on the car ride around Utah. Luckily I was freed from my pain around the exact same time we returned from our honeymoon in Utah. I learned quickly that John was a wonderful caretaker and quite patient with me during my fits of craziness. Just as I already knew, I married a wonderful husband. Despite the incessant pain we did manage to see some fun sights on our trip. Below are the pics...




Eating at the highly recommended "Tree Room" at Sundance. Food was pricey but delicious. No Robert Redford sighting though. This is actually a live tree growing through the restaurant. We even scored free desserts after it took forever to bring them to us.

Here we are at the Joseph Smith Memorial building. We bribed a 12 year old girl to take our photo. She did surprisingly well I thought.



Here is our make-shift freezer/refrigerator. As it turns out our luxurious cabin doesn't supply us with such necessities. We find this out after we went on our shopping spree of groceries that require refrigeration. Our creative ingenious actually made for nice, chilled, refreshing sodas. It was even entertaining shoveling them out. What isn't shown in this picture are the cartons of ice cream, and frozen pizza.

2 comments:

Josie said...

I love the makeshift freezer. I congratulate your bravery in the snow. We...don't do snow.

Deleen said...

Wow, I'm surprised that anyone could top my honeymoon story. It's funny how even when you are caged in a motel room being miserable, the honeymoon can still be fun.