Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Happy Heart Day

Valentine's Day was quite the success!! John is convinced it's a marketing ploy but he still participates for my sake. In his defense though, he thinks everyday should be Valentine's Day so I'm not complaining. However, I participate simply because I didn't get to for sooo many of my single years. It's a fun time to contrive ideas/gifts/service for the person you love! And this year was no exception. I decided to divert from the "coupon book" idea of last year (that has yet to be redeemed) and try something new. I decided to go for the gusto and get John a neck/shoulder massage certificate at a local spa while also cleaning out his truck. For those who are aware, his truck was the major feat of the operation. He's a typical guy when it comes to his truck. Thankfully he is the only one in it most of the time. However, occasionally I get the luxury to drive it and 9/10 times....it isn't a pleasant experience. When we were dating it was always immaculate. Now that we are married I suppose there is no reason to try to impress anymore. Riding in it brings back memories of riding w/my Grandpa Bell in his truck. At every stop, every door opening, Dr. Pepper cans and trash would roll across the parking lot. So, I guess in a way I can thank John for getting to relive the childhood memories.

Anyway, since John was gone all last week for a business trip, I got plenty of opportunity to accomplish my task at hand. It took me two days!! Granted they weren't "full days", I did move at a snails pace, take my time, detail, and take many, many breaks....but still! I spent Monday afternoon scrubbing away at the inside trying to locate/eliminate the stank. I even resorted to sitting on my bootay and scrubbing away at his brake dust covered tire rims. Simply because I knew this would singlehandedly win him over. Then I headed off to KC the following day to play with my sis and her family. They did a wonderful job of entertaining me while I was "John-less" for the week (more on that later) and I finally returned back to Arky on Friday afternoon to finish up my work. Just a few things left to do, go to the car wash, wash the windows, and wet-black the tires. Phew! Overall it took me ample time to move my ample self around that truck but it turned out beautifully if I do say so myself. I even realized at the end of the day that I've now broken through the "swollen ankle" part of pregnancy. Boohoo. Granted it was a LONG day so I'm hoping I'm only a "one-day member" of that club and can avoid it for a bit longer before the baby comes. Anyway, I crafted my "gift-giving" plan. I would lock everything in the truck and give him the keys on Saturday morning and wish him a happy V-day. However, it didn't go as planned.....it was better.

::His reaction::
As we headed back from the airport Friday night he was telling me all about his trip. We pulled into the driveway. He stops mid-sentence, kicks the car in reverse, and squints at his truck...
J: "Are my rims cleaned?"
S: "Dangit!! Happy early Valentines Day" as I gave him the keys to the truck
J: "Who cleaned my truck?" As he pulls up and gets out and looks in the cab.
S: "Me" as I stand by beaming at my handiwork.
J: "Who detailed my truck?"
S: "Ahem....ME!!" "helloooooo"
J: "My pregnant wife cleaned my truck?"
S: Me....just beaming
I also showed him the rest of the gift talking all about his wonderful future massage on his neck and shoulders as he continued to comb over his truck. He was more awe-struck over the truck. It made all the sweat and pain worth it. Even a week later he still randomly says...."I can't believe you cleaned out my truck!" So....it was a success and he is doing wonderfully at keeping it clean. Sometimes giving me a full report at the end of the day about how he takes the trash out of the truck when he's done with it. Huge milestones folks!!

And no worries, John did not dissapoint on V-day either. After feeling bad for being gone and present-less after a full week out-of-town, he spent all Saturday cleaning/organizing the house while I was at work. And upon my return home I enjoyed a DELICIOUS homemade meal with fresh flowers on the table. Grilled steak (he's great at this), tossed salad (this too), fruit salad (this too), mixed veggies w/cheese sauce, and french bread. And afterwards? A delicous mixed fruit/strawberry shortcake. I enjoyed mine so much I even managed to eat his as well. Granted I did wait the obligatory amount of time before sweet-talking him out of his sweets. It was DELISH!! Another record-breaking holiday down in the books!! Hope everyone else had as wonderful a holiday as we did!! :D

4 comments:

Jamison Family said...

How awesome are you?! That was a wonderful idea. Isn't funny what guys notices (ie: the detailed rims) but even though the dish towels have been in the same drawer in the kitchen for years they ask you EVERY time they need one! I suppose I should just be greatful he is using a dish towel!

Josie said...

haha sounds like fun. Impressed he noticed the detailed rims.

I'll have to ask Dave if he wants to talk to "aunt shannon" soon....

dkstaker said...

That was such a good idea for a Valentines gift for him, good thinking! I love Valentines day! What a great holiday!

Colton Anne said...

For last Vday or birthday (I can't remember) I cleaned out Nick's car and gave him a plate with the girls pics glued on it to represent 12 meals of Cashew Chicken to cook him throughout the year whenever he wanted it and Kendall wanted my gift instead of his gift Michelle gave him...the car cleaning out thing must be the trick...well you also know how much your brother loves Cashew Chicken though too! :)