Friday, June 26, 2009

First Father's Day

This past Sunday we got to celebrate John's first Father's Day. It was definitely a memorable one and according to him it was a great one. We are glad to hear that he enjoyed it because we loved letting him know how grateful we are that he is Addison's daddy. She and I are both lucky to have him.

I had spent some time prepping a few things on Addison's behalf to gift to John on the big day. However, unbeknownst to us she had a gift of her own she delivered to him at 2:00 am that very morning. To preface, our little girl is just perfect when it comes to sleeping through the night - we literally have to wake her up to feed her (pretty much all the time). Sorry to make everyone jealous out there but we really do have it easy with lil Addison. Anyway, so Sunday morning, after I fed her I did the usual hand-off to John so he could burp her, change her diaper, and put her back back in her swing. Well this particular morning, he was in the middle of the diaper change when she decided to pee all over (not the first time this has happened) so off I run to get her new pajamas while John held her with her bare bum exposed. I wasn't gone for more than two minutes when Addison decided to then poop all over her daddy as he held her (this was a first). It was the most adorable thing - yes even at 2:00 am John was enjoying every minute. The funniest part of it all was after the poop, John asked her if that was his early Father's Day gift and Addison just started smiling from ear to ear. It's amazing how little moments like that, even when they occur at 2:00 in the morning, are so memorable and fun.

Once we had our morning feeding, we gave John his presents and card to open. Addison and I had worked really hard to get her little footprints stamped on the card (not easy to do with one adult and a 3 week old). And we framed some adorable pics of both Addison and I so John could take them to work. That way whenever he started missing us he could just look at them.

It was also our first Sunday back to church after Addison was born AND our first Sunday in our new building with our new start time of 10:00 AM :D !! It was a day of firsts! Since our start time was earlier, I spent the morning running around like crazy making John his favorite breakfast of Belgian waffles, and then getting Addison ready, and then salvaging whatever time I had left to get myself ready. Then after coming home from church John got to enjoy one of his favorite dinners (and mine too) of chicken fried chicken...YUM! John kept offering to help me with dinner but I was insistent that he needed to relax because it was his special day. However, I finally took him up on his offer once I realized it was impossible to do it all by myself. It was a busy but fun day. Thankfully Sunday naps have now started back up and we all slept for a good 3 hours. A wonderful ending to a wonderful day!

We are so grateful for John and we feel lucky that we get him as a Daddy and Husband. He is such a great provider and takes such good care of us. We are definitely spoiled and we love every minute of it. He doesn't ever complain when I wake him at 2:00 am to burp and change Addison. He may be half asleep but he is still happy to do it. I love laying in bed just watching him talk to Addison and rock with her before he puts her back down. He has such a special bond with her and I'm thrilled that she gets to have such a great dad. She's his little princess.

Here is one of the pics we gave to John...


Daddy & Daughter on Father's Day

Daddy & Daughter on Father's Day

4 comments:

Jenny said...

She is SO cute you guys! Are her eyes blue? I hope I get to meet her this summer!

Natalie said...

Thanks Shannon...I didn't think I could make it a whole week until we actually get to meet her without at least a few pictures, so I think I got my fix! She's adorable! Can't wait for this weekend!

Shannon said...

LOVE IT! Such a sweet Father's Day present and such sweet little girl!

Colton Anne said...

That is so cute of you two! I'm sure John enjoyed his day!! :) We're excited to see you soon!