Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Blessing Day

Let it be said. I am a slacker Mom. My only defense is that I'm still new in this role so I'm learning. Not only am I blogging about Addison's blessing, over a WEEK late, I also forgot to take pictures of her in her blessing dress. We DID get pictures mind you, of some family and her, before she was changed. But I didn't get any of just her. :( So, I did what any slacker mom would do - I stole them from Natalie (my sis-in-law). Apparently she's not a slacker aunt. Anyway, let's begin...

The weekend of Addison's blessing was lots of fun and we got to spend it with lots of family on both sides. Almost everyone was able to make it. It also worked out well that it was the same weekend as July 4th. Since my family came the furthest, they got to spend the whole weekend hanging out with us. I didn't have any plans for the 4th, but luckily Sarah came through and saved us. We all got to mooch off of her family and their annual July 4th BBQ and fireworks show. We all had a great time and my family felt very appreciative for Tom & Sarah's hospitality. Not only do they throw the best parties but they make everyone feel so comfortable and included. By the end of the night we were all facebook and blog friends! ;-) We even got to finally meet my best cousin friend Jared & his wife, Ann's little boy Carson. He is only about 3 1/2 weeks older than Addison and from what we could tell they really hit it off. By the end of the weekend they were already holding hands. Too bad they are 2nd cousins!

Anyway, back to the BBQ, the burgers were delish. The fireworks were wonderful (from what I heard). I spent the majority of my time in the house with the scaredy cats and small babies. Lucky me! A night of screaming children - what is better than that? And the smores were scrumptious - for the small few who got to enjoy them before the bbq grill melted into the plastic table. ;-) Parties are the best when there are little snafu's along the way. We even managed to convince my cousin Jared that he broke Sarah's dog Gunther. Jared was reaching down to pick up a baby and accidentally stepped on Gunther's paw. Poor Gunther let out a big yelp and Jared quickly apologized. Only to sit down and watch Gunther limp off around the room. Little did Jared know the paw was gimpy LONG before this incident. However, we all managed to convince Jared it was his fault and he should feel horrible about it! I think we carried it on for a good five minutes. Nothing like giving a little unnecessary grief!

Sunday was the big blessing day. And it was really such a special day. Anyone who knows me knows that I tend to stress over little things and since family was in town, I had plenty of things to occupy my mind. However, I made it a point to clear my head Saturday night and make Sunday a stress-free day and simply enjoy Addison's blessing. Everything else was secondary. We were so grateful for both of our families coming to share in this special day. The blessing circle was so big they could hardly fit. Addison looked just beautiful in her dress and did so well during the blessing. I did my best to hand off a happy and full baby to John so we could avoid any potentially embarrassing moments. Her stomach was full, she had a clean diaper, and her pacifier was in her mouth. We didn't manage to get her sleeping before hand however but it didn't matter. Apparently John said she was just looking around and happily content during the blessing. The words her Heavenly Father sent to her through her Daddy were just beautiful. He blessed her that she would have a strong body and would be able to carry out her spiritual and temporal needs in this life. And that she'll have a thirst for knowledge that will bring her closer to her Savior. He acknowledged that she has a calm soul (this is very true) and that it is a talent of hers and a gift from her Father in Heaven. And of course that she will find someone that will lead her to a temple marriage when the time is right. As beautiful as that marriage part is - I don't want to even think about that yet. I can't imagine how we are going to deal with her dating!

After the blessing and church, we all headed back to our place for sandwiches. It was very informal but we just wanted to visit with our family and let everyone know how grateful we were that they came to share this day with us. Addison is truly a blessing in our lives, not only in our little immediately family of John and I and her, but also in her Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, lives etc. She is already so very popular. It was so nice that everyone came to support us. We are definitely loved....especially Addison. Here are a few pics from the big day...


Addison in her blessing dress (Thanks to Aunt Natalie)

Me, John, Addison, Uncle "Tin Tin" and Aunt Natalie

John, Me, Addison, and Grandma Bell

Grandpa Bell and Grandma Marchelle and Addison


Carson & Addison hanging out

Carson & Addison holding hands

**Sadly I didn't get a chance to get pictures with John's parents or family w/Addison before she was changed and down for a nap. I'm debating on re-dressing her up in her dress and having another photo shoot. :D

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Awww I wish you guys lived closer!!

Shannon said...

She is so beautiful!

Stephanie said...

We didn't get any pictures of Ross in his blessing outfit either. I ended up procrastinating and I just had to take a picture of the outfit without him in it.

Looks like it was a fun weekend!

Nik said...

She is beautiful- just like her mama! I am sad that we all live so far away that a jump in the car isn't quick. :(