Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Pact


With three days to go before Addison's 2nd birthday, I've had no other choice than to start entering into negotiations with her. We have a low-key family b-day party planned for her this Saturday, complete with Mickey Mouse in all forms. However, a few days ago I started getting anxiety/sadness over her growing up too fast. I informed her she's not allowed to ever turn two and she must stay one year old forever. Luckily she's still in the "agree w/Mommy on everything phase" so she thinks this is a good idea too. We've shook on it folks....okay high-fived on it, but I'm counting that.

We now have a daily routine where we assure each other of our new "non-birthday" plans. I started by saying "No Birthday, No cupcakes, no party, no presents...etc...etc" and she promptly repeats me with a reassuring head nod after each one. Now, two days later, all I have to say is "No birthday" and she finishes w/the rest..... "no pah-tay", "no cakes", "no Mittee", "no boons", "no cousins", "no pi-zes (surprises)". It's adorable and I only wish it would come true the more we say it. It's not fun to watch your little girly grow up and never be this little ever again!

And did I mention that one of her presents is big girl underwear?!! I've never had problems achieving milestones w/her - most I've welcomed, but for some reason this present is one I'm dreading giving her. Part of it is mixed with the worry of how we even begin the potty training process but most is realizing that she's growing up!!! I should be glad to get rid of diapers right? Sniff sniff.

Obviously we'll still have the party despite my last minute sadness and also for the fact that she didn't really get a fair representation in our settlement after all ;-). I have two more days to come to terms with it all. Stay tuned for the party post coming soon!

3 comments:

She Loves The Color Pink said...

Two seems old but potty training age seems REALLY "big girl." Addison is such a sweetie! It's not fair how fast they grow up.

Natalie said...

Don't worry, you'll have another one in diapers in a few short months :)

Sarah said...

She is SO big! her splits were impressive the other night. Sad we will miss her party - but excited for our own private party when we come back to town.