Monday, June 6, 2011

Hunkering Down

I grew up in tornado alley. Up until last month, I was convinced that my family and my home would never be hit by a tornado. I was the type that spent tornado warnings/watches mad at the news crew for interrupting my regularly scheduled programming.

Obviously, I've still been blessed enough to have avoided the tornadoes but I'm definitely no longer a skeptic. Once I saw what horrific events happened to Joplin, MO (45 min from my current home and 45 min from my childhood home), I realized that nothing is ever a guarantee. Mother Nature has incredible force and horrible events happen that can't be explained. As my heart aches for those people, I'm confused as to why they were the unlucky ones and not us, etc. etc. It definitely makes you realign your priorities and hold your families closer and never ever get upset at the news reporters for the long forecasting on tornado watches.

About three days after the destructive tornado damage of Joplin, our area was in the projected pathway of what could be about 6 tornadoes. With everything still fresh in our minds we did not take any of the warnings/watches lightly. John spent the early evening packing our valuables while I spent the early evening packing our clothes for a "what-if" scenario. Pajamas with tennis shoes, enough gear for Addison if we didn't have a home to come back to etc. It was weird walking around my home thinking what if it's not here tomorrow? And strangely enough, I came to peace with the "things and stuff" that could be gone and realized that as long as my family was safe we would be fine. My mind kept wandering to those in Joplin who were dealing with the reality of the after affects just down the road from us.

We were thankful for Tom and Sarah opening up their basement to us and anxious to get hunkered down over there while we spent the evening hanging out and watching the path projections. It was a light and airy and fun environment despite what could possibly be heading our way. Luckily the kids all seemed to have fun and we kept reassuring them everything was fine. Addison didn't have a clue as to what was going on, nor did she seem to care. She just knew she was having a blast with her cousins and got to stay up late and play with their Nintendo DS' they so willingly shared with her. They ended up having one big slumber party in the big bed downstairs and it was so fun to see her adore them. At one point, her younger cousin was playing with the light switches which scared her. When I came in to check on her she was crying and sad and I asked her if she wanted to stay and play or come sit by Mom and she sniffled and said...."Stayyyy". It was cute and adorable just how much fun she was having despite the scare. After all, she is quite the Momma's girl ya know. I'm learning to enjoy the freedom of her running off to play with cousins but it is a little bit of an adjustment now that she is getting past the "sitting on top of Mommy phase". :(

In the end, the tornadoes ended up going around us that evening and we headed to our homes safe and sound at midnight that night. However, sadly they did touch down in other areas of Oklahoma and Arkansas. My heart goes out to all those who are dealing with the aftermath of such destruction. I can't imagine what it feels like to survive such destruction or even lose family members.

Bradley, Addison and Karah hanging out at their slumber party. I can't find the picture of all three of them conked out and sleeping peacefully on top of each other but trust me...it was a.dor.a.ble.

2 comments:

Jean Fields said...

Shannon, you voiced so very well the feelings of your heart in this blog and also the feelings of mine. Life can be turned upside down in only minutes and we do need to be prepared. There is something to the saying, "When we are prepared we do not fear". I loved testimony meeting yesterday and Sunday School as see how to prepare spiritually as well. Thanks for your blog and the goodness of your heart. I love you!

Sarah said...

That was the funnest tornado warning I have ever been through. The kids were beyond adorable - playing with each other, cuddling, doing the splits....lol. Our basement is open to you anytime until your compound is built :) Love you.