Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My Worst Fear


Technically it's not my ABSOLUTE worst fear but it definitely ranks up there. Anytime Addison takes a hard fall, I always check her head and teeth first. I do good at not alarming her with an "Ahhh you fell!" moment. I hide my anxiety as I calmly check for teeth, tongue, and head trauma. So far we've done pretty good up to this point.

Well fast forward to last Thursday night. Ironically, Daddy and Addison were going to brush her teeth but somehow she fell when stepping on her stool. It sounded like a hard hit and a painful cry - poor girl. Daddy consoled her while trying to check for injuries. None to be found, except for when we finally got her to open her mouth. The poor girl's front tooth was chipped. My heart sank. Luckily it was only a very small chip but still sharp nonetheless. She quickly recovered and went to bed. I spent the next morning trying to call dentists and realized none of them have hours on Friday (remind me to work for a dentist someday - they have some pretty lax hours) Anyway, after determining it wasn't really an "emergency" and she wasn't complaining about it, we decided to wait and get in to the dentist on Monday. I didn't want her first "dentist experience" to be a chipped tooth but oh well.

We got several recommendations from a good local dentist and amazingly they had a last minute opening on Monday afternoon. It was either take that or wait until January (I'm guessing he's pretty popular). Anyway, we jumped on it and Addison and I made our way down to visit him. I kept talking to her about how the dentist will fix her tooth and he's really nice and it's really fun to go there. Even when we got out of the car she repeated back to me "Dentist fix toof Mommy" - it was adorable. Anyway she had a ball while waiting in the waiting room and then got a little shy when we got called back. He was a great dentist, greeted her with a stuffed frog (which had teeth) and showed Addison what he would do to her teeth - while using the frog. She was a little perplexed by it all but reluctantly she laid down. I held her hand and she had no problems letting him count her teeth while she watched T.V. However, she got a bit freaked out when the drill came out to grind it down. (I wouldn't blame her - I'd be scared of that thing if I were two as well). Anyway, luckily it was a small chip of the enamel, he just filed it down, and sent us on our way. Apparently it's pretty common for kids to chip their teeth. The things you learn eh? And I doubt anyone can tell it's chipped unless they stare at her teeth. And she got lots of prizes and treats afterward so she was in heaven. And now we get to start seeing him in 6 months for her first cleaning. :D So a few good things came out of a bad situation.

Here she is having a blast in the waiting room. Seriously, you'd think she was at Disneyland.

1 comments:

Josie said...

did you like who you saw? (who did you see?) I need to get dave in pronto...he still hasn't been for his first cleaning.