Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Strike Three

Warning: This may not be an exciting read for some of my blog followers. It documents my struggles with nursing which I have mentioned in an earlier post. Just know you were warned!


So, since I can tend to be on the pessimistic side, I'm trying harder lately to focus on the positive. Both for my sake and those around me...namely my family. Of course, it can be challenging to do with everything that seems to be happening to me (Lol....just what a pessimistic person would say eh? ;-)

Anyway, I've made an honest attempt at nursing this go around. And now I'm gracefully bowing out. Why you ask? Well last Monday was the third (count them 1,2,3) time I got mastitis...in TWO months! That doesn't count the two times I got it with Addison. For those who don't know what Mastitis is, google it, it hurts like crazy. Honestly I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Flu like symptoms...shakes, chills, cold sweats, nausea, itching, migraines, throbbing pain, fever, heat - all at the same time and it comes on quick! The good news is that at least the first two times were caught and medicated before it hit full force. This last time was full force. It all hit at night right after we got done trick or treating. I resorted to calling the on-call doctor to try and get some relief. He couldn't call any medication in without seeing me but suggested to "ride it out" through the night. That or else go into the ER and get some meds. I actually considered going to the ER...that's huge folks! I've never been to the ER (for myself at least). The only thing that changed my mind is knowing I couldn't drive in this condition and John had to stay home with the kids. So, I rode it out until morning.

On the nursing side of things, luckily I have a nice stockpile of frozen milk for little boy to coast on for awhile. After that, it's formula all the way. And I'm choosing to push away any/all guilt that starts to set in, from me or others. I've given it an honest attempt. He got the good stuff for a few good months - better than not at all. And I won't have to fear getting infected again. Plus, my doctor even mentioned the "3 strikes your out" so that makes me feel better.

Anyway, where is all the "positive thinking" in all of this you may ask? I am never going to take "being healthy" for granted. Not after what I've endured these last three days. Do you know how hard it is to take care of a 2 year old and a 2 month old when you can't move? Thanks to a dear friend who watched Addison (all day!) the first day....lifesaver. So now that I'm finally on the mend, and able to stand up for more than five minutes, I'm loving life again. I'm not feeling as overwhelmed since I can actually get up and do stuff. And I can now fulfill my promise to the kids that I will be happy and more patient and fun now that I'm feeling better. Honestly, I'm not the nicest to my body but it has been pretty good to me. I've given it junk food and little exercise and soda more than I should. And surprisingly I hardly ever get sick....except for this time. And frankly, now that I'm on the mend, I'm never going to complain again. I have my health. I'm healthy!!! Thankfully mastitis was only a temporary ailment, some people deal with yucky stuff for a lifetime and/or it takes them to their grave. In the words of Monty Python..."I got bettah!" :D

So, moral of the post? Be thankful you are healthy and your kids and your family are healthy. That you can get up and move around and do things with little to no pain almost all of the time. Sure we have the random ailments here and there but I'll gladly take them over all the other more serious ailments.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

The first 6 weeks are the most important, so you made it past that :) Nothing wrong with formula (other than the cost haha!) Glad you're feeling better now though

Colton Anne said...

Stinks that you had to endure that three different times. I've only had clogged ducts luckily, no mastitis...those aren't fun either, but I would hate to have the full blown! Don't stress yourself out too much...breast milk/formula...sure one is better than the other in most cases, but what is most important is that Jonas is loved and properly cared for and you do those superbly!