Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Jonas Visits The Dentist

I'm trying my hardest to not let Jonas fall victim to the '2nd Child Syndrome'.  Which leads me to this blog post.  His first dentist visit.  One would think it isn't as exciting since we've already been down this road w/Addison but trust me it is.  Maybe it's because of the change-up of gender but it's so fun watching Jonas grow up into a man (well he talks as deep as one so that makes him one right? ;).  He's such a funny little guy and has so many differences than his sister does.  He rarely talks and when he does most of it is pretty indecipherable.  He's a mellow boy but wow is he curious.  Anyway, my point.....he's a fun guy to watch grow up and change.  

His first dentist voyage was no different.  I am always skeptical to just how much he comprehends when I tell him what is going on.  Luckily, since he's so mellow he just rolls with it either way.  It's my ultimate goal for my kids to think that going to the dentist is fun!  So far it's working beautifully thanks to Addison and her excitement she exudes as we go.  I never had fond memories of the dentist so I'm hoping to change that association.  

Brooklyn got to hang out with Grandma and Grandpa Fields while I took the two oldest to the dentist.  She's normally such a good baby but I didn't want to jinx myself and end up holding a crying baby while trying to keep a 2 year old and a 4 year old entertained and happy at the dentist.  

I think Jonas had the most fun just enjoying the waiting room.  We visit a really good pediatric dentist in the area and the office and staff are fully dedicated to the little kiddos.  Addison got to have her check-up first while Jonas and I watched.  She did great and didn't have any cavities!  

Addison is an old pro by now.  This is like her  3rd dentist visit ya know! ;)

Next it was Jonas' turn.  He's not much of a fan of anything we do to his mouth or teeth so I was curious to see if he'd even open his mouth up.  Our dentist is adamant about not pressuring them to do anything they don't want to do which I like a lot.  Luckily, Jonas let the assistant take a gander at his teeth...albeit a quick one.  He wasn't so keen on her polishing them though.  I think she got to at least five before he finally cut her off.  Then she went on to count them and he seemed fine with that process.  Next, the dentist came over and took a look at them.  Jonas was willing to let him have a little look as well but then he was done.  They looked long enough to declare him cavity free and send us on our way.  Well, not before we were able to stock up on treasures at the counter first.  Two stickers, a toothbrush, some toothpaste, and a ball and Jonas was now convinced of how fun dentists can be.  He could barely hold all of it in his chubby little fingers. 
He didn't quite grasp the whole "wear these cool spiderman glasses while we look at your teeth" concept.

He left a happy guy and I left a happy Mom.  My babies are growing up....and they are cavity free!  Wahoo!



It's our little tradition to enjoy some Krispy Kreme after the dentist.  Yes, the irony.  It keeps them in business and it keeps our tummies happy so no complaints here!  
Addison enjoying her "post-dentist donut" as well.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Even though it's not technically your first time to bring a kid to the dentist, it's still quite an experience to just look at how he'd take things. Was Addison afraid of the dentist at first, or was she quite happy with it?
Patrick McEvoy @ drmcevoy.com

Chelsea Osborne said...

Wow! You have such brave kids! They do sound excited, especially Addison, though Jonas seems like he was crying on the second picture. Nonetheless, the fact that the whole appointment went smoothly speaks a lot about how brave they are and how good your dentist is. I bet their pleasant experience with the dentist will make them appreciate dental hygiene better.

Divian Patel @ The Crawley Dentist

Dr. Gerald Regni said...

Wow! Looks like Jonas took his dental visit in stride. That's a good thing. Dental service is necessary for our path of maturity and it's just great that you started your kids on it early. Kudos!

Dr. Gerald Regni, DMD