Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Fright Night Festivities

I'm convinced there are certain holidays that aren't very fun unless there are kids around. Ok, technically that would be ALL holidays right? Anyway, Halloween is definitely one of those. John and I decided since it was just the two of us, we would borrow someone else's kids and eek out some holiday fun. Sarah and Tom were the lucky ones. We headed over to their house Friday night and got to see all the cuties in their scary/adorable costumes before they hit the neighborhood for their goodies. My favorite was cute little Bryce who was dressed as a ghost. Complete with the white face paint and baby powdered hair. Yes, I was the lucky one that got to hold him while he got doused in the powder. It was worth it. He just sat there staring at all of us while we covered him in goo. John and I stayed behind and handed out candy while they all went in search of candy. I'm sure we all could have saved each other some time just by dumping our candy into their bags but oh well. It's all about the experience right?

After the kiddos came back and sorted through their loot, John and Sarah and I were off to laugh fear in the face by going to the local Haunted House. The line was forever long and I was banished to the curb thanks to all the chain smokers in front and behind us. I was a rather pitiful sight from what I hear. Well, most haunted houses make me laugh more than scream but this was definitely an exception to the norm. After finally getting to the front (only a mere 1 1/2 hours!!) we calculated who would stand where and hold who's hand etc. Then we ventured onto a bus with blacked-out windows and seats facing backwards. Creepy enough on it's own!! We watched a clip from "I Am Legend" (great movie!!) and the bus screeched and cornered on two wheels while a dummy monster jumped at us with each screech of the brakes. I had even seen the movie before but it was still pretty scary and very creative. After that they dropped us off at the actual haunted house and we wandered through some pretty cool props and monsters. My theory was assume everything will jump out at you....when it does cower and keep repeating..."by law they can't touch me...by law they can't touch me.." Hahaha...it worked pretty well and it turns out we survived after all. It was great fun and we were exhausted. Next year we'll finally have a little one to dress up and take pictures of! :D

5 comments:

Sarah said...

i took the approach of hid behind the pregnant woman and yell "She's Pregnant!" every time they jumped out at you :) So fun!

Darrell and Alissa said...

I have been meaning to tell you congrats!!! I'm so excited for you guys!

What's up with the Walkers! said...

I'm so impressed, how brave are you? I can't even think about those haunted houses and I get scared. You know me though I can't even handle the previews for a horror movie. See I do read your blog, and I made sure to post on mine first:)

Colton Anne said...

I'm glad no one pee-peed in their pants!! :) I would have to dis-own you guys if that were the case!

Deleen said...

I think Halloween without the kids would be really fun. And how cute that you're all careful about second-hand smoke.

We can't wait until that magical age when we can take the boys to a haunted house without having to pay therapy bills for the decision.