Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Shout Out

For quite some time, I've been meaning to devote a blog post to the two, current loves of mine & Addison's lives. These two always come through for us on the days that just seem a bit too long or a bit too full of tears (from both of us). These two seem to grant me the reprieve to do something/anything for at least 30 minutes by myself. They give us space for the times we've been a bit too much on each others tails. And sometimes they give us just that extra bit of silence or patience.


First, MJ - thanks a TON for your greatest hits CD! I know you are no longer on this earth but I'm very glad you left this behind for us. I grew up listening to him (yes as weird as he is - ya gotta admit he can get ya dancing). And that is just what Addison does every time I play his CD in the car. It's saved us from many many long traffic jams, crying fits, and frustration while buckled in with nowhere else to go. EVERY single time his music starts playing, regardless of her prior mood, Addison starts dancing and giggling in her car seat. It's a glorious, glorious thing.

I'm sure all of you that have been trapped in cars w/crying babies understand the importance of moments like these. So, thanks MJ - you let your freak flag fly while you were alive but you sang/danced with the best of them!



And of course, Yo Gabba Gabba. Even though you, as well are a bit weird and freaky, whatever magnetic charm you have in a little girl's eyes, I thank you for it. There isn't ANY other show that can captivate her as well as you can. So much so, that I'll come in the room and find her sitting 3 feet from the t.v. just enthralled in every movement. Sometimes you even get me laughing with your songs like "Please don't bite your friends" or "There's a party in my tummy!" or "Try it, you may like it!"

Whenever, I get the TiVo episode going, the minute the music starts playing she starts laughing/squealing, and running to the T.V. Yes, she's even watching it as I post this blog. Some days it's just nice to know if/when I need it, I have something to grant me a 30 minute reprieve. Plus, I just discovered the creators of this show are LDS. Click here for the very interesting article.

Yes, there are times I feel the "mommy guilt" for planting her in front of the TV or drowning out the car seat crying fit by blaring Michael Jackson through the speakers. But in those quick moments of reprieve it is a blessed, blessed thing and I am very grateful for them. They've helped both of us stay sane on multiple occasions.

2 comments:

Lacey said...

I know what you mean about Yo Gabba Gabba, my kids love that show and I love some of their songs. I'm glad I'm not the only mommy that needs that show.

She Loves To Make said...

I love, love, love Michael Jackson. I just to watch his greatest hits music video dvd all the time. I probably still have the dances memorized :) I love that Addison likes his music. Training her right!