Friday, December 10, 2010

Turkey Trottin'

I was lucky enough to get to trot with the turkeys this past Thanksgiving. It had been my first 5k since this past May so I was the one who probably most resembled a turkey as I trotted. (And trust me, I don't go much faster than the "trot" pace. I like to call it a normal person's "walk with a bounce!" ;-)

I hadn't known about the race until a week prior but thought it'd be fun to try. I mostly wanted to see if I could finally accomplish the goal of running the WHOLE thing. Soooo....the night before the race I was pumped and mentally prepared. Until that morning when the sleet, and freezing rain hit, and everything went south fast. I had doubts of even getting out of bed but luckily pushed through and did it. Then I continued to have doubts along each step of my journey. Poor John and Addison were under the weather so I left them home and went out to face the weather. I don't know how many times I entertained the thought of just turning the car around. BUT, my first (and only goal acheived that day) was to just buck up and do it. After all, it was only a light mist and once I got running hopefully I would warm right up.

Welp, lets just say my original goal of completing the race w/o walking......fell short. I almost had it in the bag until I was faced with the final hill. Apparently, the hill, the rain, the freezing cold, and the wind, were all in-cahoots and timed themselves to attack me together. It wasn't my best time by any means. I was a little bummed I couldn't achieve my first goal of not walking, but glad I was at least able to achieve the 2nd goal (aka finish it). I guess it just leaves me an opportunity to sign up for the next one! Any takers?!

2 comments:

Mark said...

I'm down!

Natalie said...

I will once I get in shape post-baby!