Thursday, March 10, 2011

Communication is Key

Especially when that communication is in the English language.

I never knew how wondrous life would be once Addison learned how to communicate with me. WONDROUS! Don't get me wrong, she's used words before but somewhere along the way she picked up a bajillion more. Which is creepy because she's using words I've never taught her, or words I may have only used around her once. I'm almost convinced someone is stealing my baby when I'm not looking and giving her vocabulary tutorials!

For example: She points things out in books....and it's RIGHT! That still blows me away. But what blew me away even more is that she is speaking in sentences! Whoa! They just started coming out of nowhere! While on vacation she would wander around the hotel and say "I see Daddy", or "I see (blank)" We've always encouraged her to "use her words" when she tries to whine or cry...but most of the time we help tell her what words to use in that specific situation. John was wrestling w/her on vacation and she told him "Daddy peas top" all on her own. I've given her that phrase once or twice before but didn't have to coach her this time to think of it. So of course, John had to happily oblige since she was using her big girl words so well. It was adorable and shocking all at the same time.

Where is my little baby? She's such a grown little girl now. Part of me is sad that she won't ever be a baby but a bigger part of me is soooo excited we can communicate with each other and very excited for this next phase. It's soooo helpful and fun at the same time. I'm sure I'll be eating my words when she decides to ramble non-stop day in and day out but as of right now I'm living it up. I won't even mention in this post how she is showing great signs of being potty trained or at least interested in it....uhhhh she's not even TWO until May!! Bring it on!

3 comments:

She Loves The Color Pink said...

What a cute little talker! I can not believe she is going to be two in a few months. How can that be?!

Dana said...

Can't wait to her here talking in sentences. And this summer we can potty train together! Is it sad that Garrett is going to be THREE and still not there? She's going to change so much before the baby comes!

Meredith said...

isn't it lovely that they can say "water please!" or "i want down"? we're loving the whole communication thing over here too. mine will be two in July, i.can't.believe.it! but i'm so glad;)
YOURS, MINE AND OURS