Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spring Training

Technically we got back from our wonderful vacay last week but of course it took me a week to catch up on the housework, laundry, other blog happenings, and plain just being lazy. I seem to have a "recovery period" after long trips. When I get home, I hit a vegetative state for days and just do the bare minimum to keep us alive. It's kind of nice actually but of course it's always nice to return to a normal functioning human being as well.

Anyway, we were lucky enough to head out to Spring Training in AZ this year! For those unaware, this is the time of year that all the major league teams head that way and practice and recruit their newbies and play each other. It's a great way to see some major baseball teams in a very intimate setting and for MUCH cheaper than during the real season. I had no clue this even existed before I met/married John. Luckily, thanks to marriage, I've been clued in and also been converted to a Cubbies fan! It didn't take me long to hone in on my favorite player.....Carlos Marmol, the Cubs closing pitcher. Yep, I've learned lots since becoming married huh?


We got to spend a week in sunny Arizona and even Grandma & Grandpa Fields got to enjoy it all with us! Their hotel was within walking distance from ours so we saw a LOT of each other. Addison had a great time bonding even more with them. She even learned to say "Gampa" and "Gamma" while there. And yes, she was a BIG fan of "Gampa". So much so that when she was hugging Gamma goodbye she started wrestling out of my arms to try and find Gampa and give him his hug. Plus while they watched her she even cried when Grandpa dropped her and Grandma off while he went and picked up their lunch. She's a big fan Grandpa!

Our first three games were fun to watch but not too exciting and the Cubs weren't winning anything so we were pretty bummed. But I did get to see my favorite pitcher swing a few pitches in the first game so I was a happy camper. The last game we saw the Cubbies finally won!! It was a close game and had us on the edge of our seats. I kept reassuring John that I felt really good about that game and I knew the Cubbies would give us a win before we went home. Sure enough they did! They won by one point in the ninth inning!

Overall, we had a great vacation and even got to enjoy a temple visit in the middle of it. The weather was gorgeous and we enjoyed sporting the shorts and flip-flops while we were there. It was sad to have to pack them away once we got back to Arky though. I wish I could have packed the sunshine home with me. Maybe next time! In the meantime, check out the photos from our vacay!

Here is my boyfriend: Carlos Marmol. He pitched great! He has a cool lookin' head bob when he leans into a pitch.

Posin' for a family picture after our third game.

Addison loved these baseballs outside the stadium.

Grandma was a BIG help in keeping Addison occupied during the games. Here they are coloring together. Most of the time they spent taking crayons out of the box and putting them back in. Exciting eh?

Addison and Daddy got to run the bases after our third baseball game. She loved it and kept stopping to stare at the big Alligator mascot waiting for them at the end. She made sure to hug and wave to every mascot we passed. I was just amazed she wasn't afraid of them!

Here they are after they finished running the bases. She even scored her own toy baseball afterwards!

Here are Daddy & Addison watching the last game of our trip...the game the Cubbies actually won!! She was such a good trooper through all the cramped seats and long hours of holding still. She had only a few meltdowns.

And last but not least, we got to spend our last day at the park chasing around the ducks. In case you are wondering, no they do not like chocolate Teddy Grahams. Oh well, it was worth a try!

0 comments: