Friday, July 8, 2011

4th of July Weekend

This year for July 4th we decided to mix it up a bit and try something different. We spent the weekend prior to the holiday in Branson at the condo. It seems like our lives have been crazy hectic lately with everything and the baby hasn't even arrived yet! So we went in with very minimal plans for our weekend. First and foremost on our list was to relax in the A/C, nap, swim, and golf.....oh and the Dixie Stampede of course!

I've been wanting to take Addison to the Dixie Stampede for quite some time now. One could easily say I'm living vicariously through her as she didn't even know the place existed up until now. But I just knew she would love it and boy did she. She is starting to recognize "Orsee's" lately and has always loved music and lights so the show did not disappoint. Luckily we had perfect seats for her and cousin Alexa to play on the side when their attention span ran out.

She was amazed at all the horses, music and dancing and kept saying "Wow!" over and over with her mouth agape. Plus she thoroughly enjoyed mauling her corn on the cob (one of her latest favorites) while watching all the entertainment. Daddy talked me into buying a $2.00 flag for her and that was the highlight of her night....who knew? She waved it frantically calling it a "Kite!!" all night long. Best and cheapest souvenir to date I believe.

I was even lucky enough to get to tag along w/John as he went golfing one morning. This is a rare treat (first one to date actually) since I usually have to stay at home w/Addison while he goes out with friends. But this time Aunt Cassie happily agreed to hang out w/Addison. Despite the heat, the course was beautiful, and it was pretty interesting to watch. We bailed after the first 9 holes since our golfing partners were in no hurry to move a long and the heat was getting worse. I enjoyed watching so much that I think I got the bug to take up lessons one of these days! :D

We spent the rest of our time hanging out in the swimming pool, went to dinner one night, and vegged in front of movies another night. All in all, it was a great relaxing trip and was so fun spending it with family/cousins.

Checking out the "Orsee's" before the show at Dixie Stampede.


Proof that Mommy was there! I'm usually the photographer so now I make it a point to be captured in at least some of the memories.


Our party crew waiting for the Stampede (and food) to start. (Alexa, Cassie, Addison, John, and Kyle)


Addison dining on one of her favorites while watching the entertainment.


Random Sidenote: When John and I were dating, we came to the Dixie Stampede and got recruited to be in the performance. I had been enough times to know all the ins/outs of our event - the barrel racing. Such as, we were both going to be riding a stick horse - not a real one, and competing against the other team by running around two barrels in the dirt corral. Little did I know about John at the time but he is competitive AND athletic. I wasn't in it to win it by any means but once that whistle blew he was OFF! And I was trailing behind barely able to keep up. By the time we neared the finish line he took pity on me and slowed down just in time for me to run right into him and push him face first into the dirt while I landed ever so gracefully on top of him...in front of an audience of over 1,000! It was hilarious afterwards but quite embarassing/entertaining during. Poor John got skinned up pretty bad on his knee but was a good sport. Up until I decided to "nurse his wounds" by applying the wet nap doused in alcohol. Sigh....what one won't do for love eh? Either way it was fun to remember back on those days and then realize that here we are yet again with our 2 year old and another one to arrive soon! Funny how time flies! And no, we didn't get recruited for any events this time...thankfully.


And last but not least, "Aunt Tassie" easily won the "Best Aunt of the Year Award" by building the girlies this cute little fort while we were all hanging back and relaxing...and watching.. Addison LOVED it!

I won't go into detail about how Aunt Tassie and Uncle Tyra (Kyle) were Addison's favorites the whole weekend. So much so that she was not interested in hanging out w/Mommy and Daddy much at all! I guess they are pretty cool after all. I'm definitely glad she is surrounded by so many loving family members that adore and dote on her.

0 comments: