Sunday, July 17, 2011

Giddyup!




The title to this post is two-fold. I've realized today I'm extreeeeemmmmeeely behind in my blog posting but also the title is very fitting for my first "catch-up entry" of our rodeo visit.

Wayyyyy back about what seems like a month ago (and it could have been), John and I went to our 2nd annual PBR Springdale Rodeo. They've been happening much longer but we only discovered that this one existed last year. I enjoy going so much that I think I'm declaring it as our annual "must-see" event.


Although, I'm definitely NOT a cowgirl, I grew up going to rodeos as a kid and loved them just as much then. Every year our family (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc) would converge upon the Ozark, MO Rodeo. It was also at this rodeo that I purchased my very own cowboy hat (spray painted pink of course!) with pink feathers included. I loved wearing that hat but mostly I loved the memories I had of spending time with family and watching the rodeo.


For this reason, I think I enjoy going to the Springdale rodeo that much more. I get to reminisce on those childhood memories, my wonderful Grandpa/cowboy that is no longer on this earth, and all the things the rodeo brings with it. Luckily, John seems to enjoy it just as much (or maybe he's just too nice to say "No" to my excitement).

This year we splurged yet again and bought the "box seats". Um yeah, I didn't know they existed either and this is the only time in my life I've ever purchased box seats - especially for a rodeo - but it's worth the extra $$ just to see the action up close and personal. And boy did we! We were closer to the chutes this year so we had many a buckin' bronco right by our fence post.


The view from our seats. A little blurry, but one of the bronco's that came up close and personal (sans Cowboy at this point).

One of our newest faves is the mutton busting event. A.door.a.bull. (no pun intended ;-) This is where the kiddos come out and perform for the crowd. Full blown impersonation of just how the big boys do it with the bull riding.....except the kiddos get to ride sheep. They are adorned in their chaps and leather, number pinned to their shirt, with safety helmet included. The chute opens, the sheep runs to it's heart's content, and the child holds on for dear life. It's so cute to watch how much they get into it. It was most fun watching the little boy dressed up as a clown on his barrel who would tend to the fallen cowboy as quick as possible to make sure he was okay....even if he did only fall about 5 inches from the sheep to the ground.


Overall, the weather was definitely hot and humid and the air was definitely not circulating but we pushed through it all so we could enjoy the last (and my favorite) event....Bull Riding! Apparently the bulls were too tough this year because no one seemed to make it to the 8 seconds. It was still fun to watch on the edge of our seats though! So, until next year......Giddyup!!

1 comments:

Natalie said...

Believe it or not, I rode a sheep once. Fun times!