Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fun On The Farm

A few weeks ago, the kids and I jumped in the car for an impromptu trip to Willard (my hometown).  The reason for the trip was to celebrate my lovely Aunt's surprise birthday.  She's an amazing lady that sacrifices a TON for everyone else so I figured it was only fitting that we sacrifice and drive down to shower her in love.  It also made for a great time to spend with Grandma Bell as well.  

What did we do you ask?  Well first, we started our Saturday with a visit to the Junk Store.  This is my Mom's weekly tradition and yes, that's the actual name of the store.  It's a tiny little building that only opens on Saturdays and they literally sell "junk" but it's nice junk...cute stuff...for way cheap.  So, it's not too hard to convince me to line up with the other grey hairs outside the door to wait for the lady to unlock the building so we can root through her junk.  And I actually scored some sweet decorations this time.  Go me!

Next, we enjoyed the other tradition of breakfast at McD's with some good family friends who also partake of the junk store with us.  It was nice to catch up on each other's lives and reminisce on old times.  I'm very grateful for these friends and how well they treat my Mother and include her on their family things since she lives in a big house all alone and 1 1/2 hours from her closest child/grandkids.  They are just like family and I'm grateful for them and for the fact that I don't have to worry about my Mom being lonely on the days we aren't there (which are few).

Then, we promptly called and talked my little sister into coming down for a visit too.  She only lives an hour and a half away and tried to use the excuse that "she can't travel without her husband and with two kids" which I clearly had no sympathy for.  I've traveled with two kids and with no husband (he was golfing this time) quite often.  She agreed to come but only after she farmed one of her children out to her mother-in-law.  We were thrilled she came and Addison was thrilled to spend time with her best cousin friend Alexa.  They are 6 months apart in age and are hilarious to watch play together.  They interact like an old married couple.

After they arrived, we busied ourselves around town.  Starting with dining on some good old "Springfield Style Cashew Chicken".  Delish.  You have to grow up with it to learn to appreciate it.  John doesn't share my fondness for this meal.  But then again, I'm not overly fond of his childhood meal of Skyline Chili or LaRosa's pizza.  

After dining out for lunch we humored my mother and took the kids to the "Wilson Creek Farm" in Springfield.  I had low expectations going into it but my Mom said it should be fun for the kids and free so we obliged.  Wow, it was such a FUN place to go to!  I was amazed Springfield had something soooo cute and free and cute.  The girls got to interact with the livestock, ride on some tractors, play in a barn jungle gym, and run around the field and hay.  Jonas loved it too.  Except for the part where his slacker Mommy let him fall out of the stroller and head first into the concrete.  Yep, got my 'Mommy of the Year' badge for that one.  Poor guy.  I think he's forgiven me since.  And I've learned to double check for the buckle strap from now on.  He's totally opposite from Addison - he NEVER holds still unless he's strapped down.

Farmer Jonas....before the dive into the concrete.  

Farmer Addison.  She's a lover of all things pink.  I quickly tired of pushing her around the track.  I can't wait until the day she grasps the concept of pedaling.
"Aunt Tassie" teaching the kids how to milk a cow.  It was surprisingly hard to do.
Addison feeding the baby horse his lunch.  It took her a little while to warm up to him but she loved it afterward.
Jonas hanging out with the donkey.  Unlike his sister, this boy needs NO time warming up to the animals.  I have to work to keep him out of their cages instead. 
And of course, after a quick nap at Grandma Bell's, we headed out to surprise my Aunt for her birthday.  Her lovely daughter-in-law put all the festivities together.  It was a great evening to celebrate my Aunt and to visit with old friends.  Oh and it was also fun to visit with my other Aunts/Uncles who drove all the way from their homes to surprise her too.  It was almost like the good old days where we sit around until 1:00 in the morning gabbing away and joking with each other.  

Can I just say I'm sooo grateful that my kids are easily entertained?  This little guy was SO easy to watch at my Aunt's birthday party.  Just sit him under the table and he's a happy camper.  He stayed under there for quite awhile while I relaxed.  All I had to do was keep lifting the tablecloth to check on him.  Love it!  I also loved that Addison could have free reign to run around with all the other little girls and play without me.  It was a nice break!
It was a quick visit but so fun to see everyone and catch up.  I'm grateful I rearranged my plans so we could take the short trip down.  

0 comments: