Monday, September 10, 2012

Sneezing Like The Bears

I may be a little late in my discovery, but I'm learning that kids can actually learn things from books!  I know, right?!!  Whodathunk.  And so far it seems to be retained a LOT more than if I give her a good lecture on a particular topic.  Let me explain about the book that forever changed our lives....or at least the hand-washing, cleanliness, parts of our lives.

Introducing: 


We got this little beauty of a book from none other than Chick-fil-a and their kids meal.  (Are you surprised? ;-)  Best $3.29 I've ever spent.  By bedtime that night we had busted it open and were reading all about the Bears and their cleanliness.  (Sidenote: I grew up loving to read about the Berenstain Bears so it didn't take much convincing for me to crack this baby open for bedtime story time.)  Apparently the apple doesn't fall far from the tree - Addison seemed to enjoy it just as much.  It was a simple and straight forward book teaching all about washing hands, not sharing germs, and proper ways to sneeze.  Addison was riveted with every page.  

Now, all I need to do to remind her to wash her hands after the bathroom (something she always "forgot" to do before the book) is to say....."Remember the bears?  Wash your hands like the bears!"  And she's off and running and doing everything properly just like they did.  Most of all, she tries her hardest to sneeze just like the bears.  Did you know the proper sneeze (according to the Bears) is to cover your mouth with the inside of your elbow?  I knew this already, but I wasn't very good at remembering it.  Thankfully, Addison has decided to instruct us on the ways of the bears and their sneezes.  

I kid you not folks, it has been over a month since we've read this book and she STILL reminds me about how the bears sneeze.  Here is our interchange when I don't do it properly:

M:  (SNEEZE!)
A:  Mommy!  You didn't sneeze like da bears!  
M: Oh, you are right Addison.  Thank you for reminding me.
A:  Mommy, can you try to do it next time?  It's like dis...(actions included, elbow over mouth and fake sneeze).
M: Yes, thank you Addison.  I will try harder next time.

(And yes, Daddy has been scolded a few times about this as well)

It's not fun being scolded by your three year old child but if it means she will practice good hygiene (and help me do it as well) then by goodness, I'll swallow the pride and follow the way of the bears and the three year old.  

Thank you Berenstain Bears for teaching my child what apparently I could not.  I'm thinking next time we head to the library I'll be hitting up that good ole Dewey Decimal System to find a few good books on whatever Addison needs to practice at the moment.  

0 comments: