Monday, January 14, 2013

Grandma Has A Birthday!

For Grandma Bell's birthday this year (January 14th) we got to give her a surprise visit.  What Grandma doesn't want that for their present!?  However, due to her schedule revision the "surprise" part actually didn't happen.  Either way it was a fun day with Grandma, and three of her grandkids and two of her favorite daughters (one being me ;-)

The kiddos and I got an early start on Friday and drove down to Springfield to meet up with Grandma at her work.  We even got to get our energy out in the gym and kick around some balls and chase each other.  That is always a fun time.  Then Grandma took off the rest of the day and we picked up some Subway lunch and headed to the park.  It was a little cold but we still managed to have a good time.  Even considering the fact that I was still battling some pregnancy nausea.  So glad Grandma could step in and help with the kiddos while I took a break.  

Later that afternoon, Aunt Cassie and Alexa came to join in the fun and celebrations.  I had decided to take the kiddos on a walk down to the cemetery and see where my Grandma & Grandpa and little brother were buried (along with a cousin, and an uncle, and some other family members).  It had been FOREVER since we visited their gravesites and since my Mom lives right next to the cemetery it was a good excuse for a little field trip.  

I don't think Addison or Jonas had ever been to visit the cemetery.  It was fun getting to explain to Addison about her Uncle Jeremy that passed away when he was a baby.  She had lots of questions for me and I tried to be honest and straight forward without too much detail.  She ate it all up and has still talked about it all to this day.  She's actually been a little obsessed with it all...well at least the "dying" part of it all.  So much so that I've had to explain to her that some people may be sad if we talk about things dying.  It is interesting to hear what she has to say and think about it all.

Heading out on our walk to the cemetery.  Addison insisted that she pull the wagon which made for a LONG walk.  I was quite impressed with her determination to make it up some pretty big hills.

Aunt Cassie telling the girls about their Uncle Jeremy.  They were very intrigued with it all.

My Grandma & Grandpa Bell's gravesite.  I spent many days thinking about my memories with these grandparents.  They were one-of-a-kind grandparents.
Jonas spent most of his time wandering around the headstones and stealing trinkets off of them.  However, I was able to get a good shot of him hanging out with my Grandma & Grandpa's headstone.  I can't wait to see them again someday.
The next day we got to enjoy the mall and all the play things that come with it.  It was a fun day of shopping and was especially fun to get all our wiggles out on the play land.  
 And last, but definitely not least, we got to celebrate Grandma Bell's birthday!  She requested some brownies with nuts (instead of a cake) and Aunt Cassie happily obliged.  The girls were so excited to sing the Happy Birthday song to her.  That along with flaming candles, is always an exciting time!

These girlies just adore their Grandma Bell.  I love seeing the happy smiles in this picture.  She adores them back just as much.

Jonas wanted in on the action too.  They all decided Grandma needed their help to open her present.  Especially when it was covered in tootsie rolls.  So glad Grandma decided to share!
And last but not least, the icing on the cake.  Kisses all around.  Happy Birthday Grandma!  So glad you could get another year older and that we could watch you do it!



0 comments: