Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Watering Hole

I've learned a lot about Jonas in his 1 1/2 years of life thus far.  The obvious facts are he's beyonnnnnd adorable...and can melt me in a matter of minutes with his little flirtatious smile and eyes.  He's ALL boy and then some.  Part of me loves this fact, and part of me is exhausted by this fact.  He loves to climb and will quickly figure out a way to scale heights that you were convinced were out of his reach.  


Case in point: Just last night, he crafted a way to stand either on Dad's foot or Mom's leg just to scale his way up the coffee table and wreak havoc on Addison's crayons.  Once he has accomplished his feat, he just stands up and smiles and bounces and makes eye contact with all who look his way.  He's ALWAYS proud to show off his abilities.  It makes me laugh while simultaneously trying to predict when his little bouncing maneuvers will send him falling.  Sometimes I'm not always quick enough.  

Case in point: A few weeks ago, while waiting at the doctor's office for his flu swab test, he climbed up on the chair and sat down on the edge and just swung his legs.  I was right next to him and thought, no harm no foul, he's a boy, if he's enjoying it and it is semi-sane and normal, have at it.  However, within seconds he took a nose dive right into the concrete floor before I could catch him.  I was hoping his hands broke his fall but sadly, his head did.  He had a pretty good size dent in his forehead that was quickly changing colors.  Luckily, the doctor came back and was able to examine his head in addition to our normal visit.  Two weeks later, the bruise is going through the color changing phase but the dent still remains.  I'm wondering if I should be worried?

I realize, with a boy, I need to quickly get accustomed to this crazy life of never holding still, always pulling him off/down/away and cleaning up any mess he's created in a matter of seconds.  I also realize, with age, comes bigger cuts/scrapes/bruises.  I've been privy to a few of his Daddy's tales of growing up.  Lots of those included blood.  That will be the hardest change for me.  I'm not a fan of blood or trying to figure out what exactly requires the ER vs a home remedy of some sort.  I fear for our future of figuring it out together.  

However, I digress.  The latest thing I'm learning about Mr. Jonas is that he LOVES water. I already knew he loved his bath time but I didn't understand just how MUCH he loves it.  As in, if it were up to him he'd sit in the bath every hour on the hour.  Since that isn't an option....he has sneakingly found his alternative:

His first offense.  Luckily Grandma & Grandpa were here to witness his latest accomplishment.
His second offense.  Notice his skill level has advanced.  Entry WITH the toilet rim down.  Impressive considering his girth.
His third offense.  Yes, it happened the exact same day as the picture above. 
Then I got smart, buckled and bought the toilet locks.  Worth every penny.  He wasn't a happy camper and grunted and tried to use his sheer strength to lift up the lid anyway.  I loved watching his determination and eventual surrender.
But, the funny thing about toilet locks is they only work when you actually USE them....Daddy!  This was on his watch and you can probably guess who got to clean him up this time.  :D

Did you count all those pictures?  Yep, a total of FIVE successful attempts at swimming in the toilet.  Needless to say, we've all stepped up and reminded each other.....  "Did you lock the toilet?"  Even Addison has become quite the professional at mastering the toilet lock.  She was gracious enough to show Daddy when he came home from work one day.  I'm sure it's pretty confusing for the little guy when his punishment involves Mommy running for the camera, coming back and making him smile for the photo, and then dragging him out of the toilet and saying "No, no, no!"  I'd be confused too.  But it's to his advantage...trust me!

The little guy keeps us busy but in the end, it's pretty hard to stay upset at him for too long.  He'll usually smile or giggle and get us laughing again.  Either that, or we are already on the run getting him out of his next predicament.  Speaking of which...here are a few more for your viewing pleasure:





1 comments:

Jean Fields said...

I think you now have living with you Curious George the Second! John was Curious George the First! You will never have a dull day Shannon! Love that little fellow to pieces!