Thursday, February 7, 2013

Kicking Some Bad Habits

I've told myself this pregnancy was going to be different than the other two.  The other two I managed to gain a TON of poundage and spent most of the 9 months just feeling miserable and achy and HUGE.  I rarely took much time to actually fix myself up.  I mostly just endured and pushed ahead and counted down until I could have my body back.  I also spent the last two months with mild panic attacks at night because I couldn't sleep OR breathe when I laid down.  It wasn't fun.  The only fun thing was that I allowed myself to eat everything in sight and not exercise a single minute.  And that was only mildly fun - it got old after awhile.  And then I paid the piper when I finally delivered and was still fairly huge and had NO motivation to get moving/exercising AND taking care of a newborn.  

Well, I told myself it would be different....that was about 3 months ago.  And guess what?  It isn't much different....yet.  In my defense I had a horrid first trimester.  This pregnancy made me much sicker with nausea, UTI's, constipation, puking, aching, etc.  There was surely no way I'd be exercising while dealing with all of that.  I was just lucky to get through the day without biting off anyone's head that jumped into my path.  Now I'm past my week 14 hurdle and the sickness has stopped.  Yay!  However, the energy is still lacking.  I'm thinking that is going to be the norm from now to the end though.  Luckily, my sciatic nerve has been nicer to me this time around than when I was carrying Jonas.  I've only had a few flare-ups here and there and I'll happily take it.  With Jonas it was non-stop pain every time I managed to walk.  

So, what am I going to do you ask?  Finally get on the wagon (or off??) and change my circumstances so I can actually be less miserable at the end of this pregnancy.  Oh and actually get dressed in somewhat cute clothes that fit and exercise and have energy.  I'm still trying to be fairly honest with my capabilities and expectations but I'm definitely not going to just "endure" the rest of these 5+ months either.  

First, my first true love must go.  Dr. Pepper.  Sigh...it's what gets me through the hard times in life.  It's been with me since I was a youngster.  It makes life exciting.  All of these things should definitely NOT be said about a simple beverage.  But it's true....and sad.....and unnecessary.  So, I'm giving it up yet again.  If I could actually drink the stuff in moderation, I'd have no problem keeping it around, but I can't.....even slightly.  And with a few trial runs this week, I've noticed some headaches happening in it's absence.  So it must go.  

Second, exercise.  I'm not signing up for any marathons but I am going to actually start walking daily in the very early morning.  Give myself some "me time" that I haven't had since I was doing good and running about a year ago.  Which will in turn get me showered and ready before the kids ever wake up.  And I've noticed how much I need this emotionally, physically, mentally, etc.  It makes me a happier mom and having actually showered each day always does wonders for my attitude and patience level.  

And lastly, I'm hoping to not actually eat everything in sight this time around.  I'm not going into super diet mode since obviously I'm growing a human.  But, I am going to stop eating for five and actually eat more sensibly.  Luckily, my cravings are kinder to me.  With previous pregnancies I craved fried pickles and Chick-fil-a chicken nuggets...and Dr. Pepper of course.  And I didn't have the strength to resist my cravings so I indulged....a LOT.  This time around I'm actually craving Chick-fil-a's Grilled Chicken Garden Salad...a LOT.  So I'm occassionally treating myself.  Granted, I'm fully aware a "salad" isn't necessarily a healthier option than the burger and fries.  But I'm celebrating the small victories folks.  And eating them in moderation too of course.  

I'm excited for the potential of actually enjoying this pregnancy physically.  Especially toward the end of it.  It may or may not change anything but I can only control what I can control.  We'll see how the rest plays out.  So without further adieu...  For documentation purposes here are a few of this pregnancy's cravings...

Random?  Yes.  But I crave them.  Even though they seem to tear apart the insides of my mouth.  Luckily they don't have a huge caloric intake so I'm embracing this craving.

Goodbye my loooovvveee!  I'll miss you.  It's been a great 34 years!

I'm embracing this one too since it's obviously better than downing Chick-fil-a's nuggets (and fried pickles) by the pound.    Of course it'll be in moderation as well.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Good for you girl! Maybe this will be motivation for me! I have had absolutely NO ENERGY-none, not a lick. Me and the couch have become the best and worst of friends this time around. And my house hates me-she is such a mess! I so badly wanted to exercise throughout this pregnancy but I started spotting and ended that-but the walking will commense, hopefully, when I get at least a tad bit more energy to get up ealier in the morning. Thank you for posting this. I feel like sometimes, it just sounds like blah-blah-blah coming out of my mouth but hearing it from someone else makes me feel better! So thank you, and good luck!

Oh, and I did a bunch a research on water intake during pregnancy yesterday and I was amazed at what it can do for you during your pregnancy. I am TERRIBLE at drinking my water, always have been, but I drank WAY more yesterday and honestly, I felt so much better today. So, try it, maybe it will help you too! I a just praying I get a desire for it so I actually keep up with it,since it is so important and all! :) Thanks again!

She Loves The Color Pink said...

Good for you! It is sooooo hard and especially so during pregnancy. You rock!

Dana said...

Wow I am impressed I know how much you love the soda, way to go! I think you can totally do this and i have heard the more in shape you are the eaiser the labor. You can do it! Let me know if you need anything!

Sarah said...

You go girl! Love you :)

Meg + Taylor said...

First--congrats!!! Pregnancy is still pretty fresh in my mind still so any sort of dedication to eating well is a tremendous effort! Way to go! I am so glad that the first part is over and that the second trimester is treating you better :) I am so excited to see what this little babe will look like. It's hard to imagine anything cuter than your last two kids...