Sunday, June 16, 2013

Fantastic Father

We had a great day (er weekend) celebrating my kiddos 'Fantastic Father' and my wonderful husband.  Can I just start this post by saying - Dang I know how to pick 'em!  I couldn't have picked a better husband for me or a father for my kids.  We all adore him.  And it's all because I picked him.  Okay, maybe his awesome-ness has a little bit to do with him too.

One of the most updated (with both kids) I could find.  Daddy playing Candy Land after a LONG day of work.  We kinda like him....a lot.
One of the many reasons why he's so wonderful?  He cooked US breakfast in bed on HIS Father's Day weekend celebration.  It was delicious and I was shocked when he came in with breakfast while I was laying around being lazy in bed.  He even fed the kiddos while I stayed in bed which is always scores a few extra points in my book.  


My delicious breakfast in bed on his special weekend.

We didn't do much on Saturday, just relaxed and had a lazy day, which is good because that is John's preference after such a long work week anyway.  Sadly, we didn't do much that I took pictures of either.  

Sunday was the big celebration of his Fatherdom.  Addison and I were able to wake up early and make HIM breakfast in bed.  It's always short and sweet and quick since we have church at 9:00 and lots of people to get ready by then.  Daddy was thrilled with it of course but couldn't eat much before he was off getting ready.  Another reason why he's so good?  He let the kids go scavenger style on his breakfast in bed.  

Letting the cute little scavengers finish off his breakfast.

We had a great day at church and both kids made him some cute things in their Primary class.  Addison filled out an "All About Dad" page that we were both getting some good chuckles from.  Jonas had a nice chocolate bar and card to give him that they "made" in nursery.  I'm sure he felt the love and we couldn't wait to get home so we could shower him in more love.
I especially love the part where Daddy is so strong he can lift an elephant! ;)
He got to relax ALL day long while we waited on him and took care of him.  Mommy fixed him a quick and yummy lunch and soon we were all down for naps.  After nap time we woke up to eat his special dinner.  He didn't specifically request this particular dinner but he spent LOTS of time talking about how yummy it was when we ate it at his brother's house the weekend before.  Luckily, I have an awesome sister-in-law that sent me all the recipe and tips in time for me to prepare it for his Father's Day.  I only hope I was able to pull it off and cook it nearly as good as she did.  We ate Pork Barbacoa with tortillas, avocados, cilantro lime ranch, rice, and black beans.  Plus some yummy watermelon and lemonade.  

With our bellies stuffed we decided to move on to the presents portion of our day.  I was quite proud of my ability to keep the cost low but the presents special still.  He was equally impressed since we've been trying harder at being more frugal lately.  

His first gift was from Jonas.  It was a "Daddy Book" which is basically a book I put together on Shutterfly that talks about Jonas' relationship with his Daddy from birth until now and includes pictures and memories they have made along the way.  I hope to have a book like this for each kid w/John.  Addison & Daddy always love looking at theirs so I was glad to finally get some free time (and a free coupon) to put one together for Jonas and Daddy finally.  He of course loved it and we all had to spend some time looking through not only Jonas' book but Addison's book as well.  It's so fun to go back and read those and think back on our memories and our little babies.

The second gift was one I had been thinking about for awhile and finally found the missing piece/frame at a garage sale that would work perfectly.  It didn't even take much time or money to put together and is now a nice little fixture in our house.  It's a framed picture of Joseph Smith receiving the priesthood and below it is John's line of Authority which lists all the men who gave him the priesthood and who gave those men the priesthood and leads all the way back to Christ.  It's such a great memory, and teaching tool, to show the kids how important it is that Daddy holds the priesthood and it is inspired it is.

And last but not least we gifted him with a new barbecue grill rack.  He is the master griller around here and we were getting pretty tired of our nasty old crusty rack when we cook yummy food.  We also threw in a nice scrub brush to keep it clean for him.  

The day and gifts were fairly simple but most of all we loved that we had a whole day to shower Daddy in love.  I hope he knows how much we all adore him and enjoy spending time with him.  He's a great father in so many ways I can't even begin to list them all in this post.  We are lucky to call him ours.  We love you Daddy!


0 comments: