Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Jumping Jonas

With all this talk about Addison and her accomplishments, I haven't been able to devote any posts to Jonas.  What has Jonas been up to lately?  Oy....LOTS.  Most of which includes NOT holding still.  Surprised?


Let me preface with the following:  In being a mother to a boy, it can always be exciting (and not always in a good way).  Of course, I get a double dose.  I'm not only the mother to a "boy" but to John's boy.  Which means he's a total boy to the 65th power.  

Our first predicament w/Jonas was a total accident on everyone's parts (even his surprisingly).  Before church, I was getting ready to comb Addison's hair and in order to do so had to remove Jonas from my lap.  In the process, Addison was handing me her hair supplies.  One of which happened to be a comb with a nice long pointy end.  As a disclaimer, I purposely buy this kind because her hair is sooo fine and the pointy thing helps me get it separated and fixed quicker than anything else.  I never bought it intending to poke my child's ear drum with it.  But sadly, that is what happened.  The little guy must have stood up just perfectly in order to get the comb poked in his ear just so...at the right amount of pressure and aim...to puncture the ear drum.  I knew by the sound of his tears that it did NOT feel good.  He's normally such a tough guy.  And poor Addison didn't know what to think.  I kept assuring her it was an accident all the while trying to console the little guy from his pain.  He wouldn't let me even think about getting a good look at the wound but from what I could tell it must have gone directly in since there was no open wound where I could see.  Lovely.  

It wasn't until mid-sacrament meeting at church that John and I noticed the dried blood around his ear.  We were both paranoid he had hearing loss.  How do you figure out if an almost 2 year old can even hear you?  We took turns whispering into his ear but both of us came back with inconclusive results.  He definitely did NOT like us touching it though.    After thinking it through I finally decided it'd be good to have the doctor check it out.  I always get worried I'm one of those "paranoid moms" when I rush my children off to the doctor but I knew with the gunk that was draining and that it was in fact his EAR that it was nothing to take lightly.

We finally got him to see the doctor on Tuesday and after failing few pressure tests he pretty much confirmed it was in fact his ear drum.  He sent us on with an antibiotic to keep it from getting infected while it started it's road to recovery.  He also assured me that these kind of things happen to EVERYONE who has ears.  Have I mentioned that I love our doctor?  Yep, kept me from totally feeling like the worst mother ever.

A week later, the gunk fell out, he passed the pressure tests at the doc, and all was healed finally.  Ahhh.....relief.

But not for very long.  Shortly after that episode, Jonas decided to up the ante and give us our first ER/stitches visit.  Allow me to elaborate...

I had spent our weekday morning cleaning out/washing carseats and of course Jonas (being a Curious George) was curious as to what I was doing.  While figuring out how to put it all back together, he was standing on the coffee table in the middle of it all.  Not so much "watching" me but mostly getting into everything I did.  I was getting rather frustrated at how much more difficult he was making the process.  And, before I knew it, he had sidled over to the side of the coffee table and either jumped or fell.  All I remember is seeing his head slam backward on his way down as it hit the coffee table.  I immediately jumped up to get him and then saw the blood.  Keep in mind, he spends MOST of his life on the coffee table and has even fallen off of it a few times and just rolls with it.  I knew very quickly that this wasn't one of those times.  It wasn't pretty and the blood kept coming.  And with me being pregnant and unfed that morning I started getting woozy pretty quickly with it all.  

After scrambling around for some washcloths and getting Addison's help, I was able to put some pressure on it while I called John.  While talking to him I got a good look at the nice sized gap right under his lip on the outside.  I decided it likely qualified for an ER visit and told him to meet me there.  Then I looked around...we were all still in pajamas, the carseats weren't even put together let alone actually buckled in the car, and Aunt Sarah was on her way to bring her kids over for a playdate at that exact moment.  

I quickly gathered my thoughts, calmed my nerves, called Sarah to cancel and thankfully she still came over and took care of Jonas while I scrambled to throw his carseat in the van.  She even took Addison for the rest of the afternoon while Jonas and I headed to the ER to meet Daddy.  On top of it all, she calmed my nerves as well.  So grateful that she was there and had been through it all before so she could help me think clearly.  

Once we made it to the ER, John had already pre-checked us in so we went right back into a room and waited for the doc.  He did confirm that it needed one stitch since it was on his face and was less likely to scar than if they had just glued it together.  Lovely, now I had to watch them physically stitch up my little guy while I tried to be brave for him.  Did I mention I was woozy?  But, there was no way I was going to be MIA during it all.  My boy needed his Momma!

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.  They put some numbing cream on his lip, and wrapped him up in a sheet to minimize the squirming.  I'm convinced he hated that more than the actual needle and thread going through his lip.  And of course he wasn't fond of the nurse holding his arms by his head to keep him still either.  They did say that his squirming and screaming was a good sign that he wasn't suffering from any brain trauma from his hard head hit.  Right after it was all done he jumped right into my arms and calmed down and fell asleep in a matter of minutes.  I don't know who needed the cuddles more, me or him.  It was traumatic but luckily we survived.  

And of course I failed to mention that the wounded monkey was STILL climbing all over the gurney while we waited for the doc to come in for the procedure.  And while trying to keep him safe, John was recounting all of his memories of wounds and stitches he had while growing up.  Lovely.  I'm afraid this is just the beginning of what is in store for this Momma.  I guess it's time to get a tougher stomach if I'm going to be facing all of this.  Oy this boy.  Good thing he's cute!
Trying to hold the guy still while we waited for the Doctor.  Jonas was NOT a fan of the hospital bracelet or anything they tried sticking on him.  Weird considering his lip had a gaping hole in it at the time.
The best shot I could get of his poor little lip.  He also bit through his inside lip but luckily those heal on their own so they didn't need to do anything to it.
See what I mean?  Would NOT hold still even after our traumatic morning that got us here in the first place.
So glad Daddy was able to meet us at the ER and help calm us both down.  Like Father like son...both Curious Georges.
Mommy giving him some good cuddles afterward.  Poor little guy.
Trying to catch some Zzzz's after such a crazy morning.  Finally holding still after it was all over with.
And yet again, what does he do later that SAME day?  Back on the coffee table yet again.  In my defense, I did try to run defense and keep him off but this boy has climbing in his blood.  If it's not the coffee table it's something else.  Time to embrace his boyhood and hope and pray we get a little reprieve from the ER in the meantime.

2 comments:

Jean Fields said...

All I can say is......Jonas IS a Curious George just like his daddy - you brought back many memories! Poor little Jonas! Poor little mommy and daddy! Poor little grandma to watch it all happen again!

She Loves The Color Pink said...

Oh Jonas...he just has to make up for the fact that he will be surrounded by sisters!