Monday, June 3, 2013

Polishing the Sparklers

At four years old, Addison is an old pro at going to the dentist.  I rarely ever worry if she's going to be a handful or afraid anymore.  She's a brave girl and I love that she thinks the dentist is exciting.  Being that, I HATED (and still do) the dentist.  There was nothing fun in any of my memories.  So, I'm hoping to change that stigma for her.  It also helps that we have a great pediatric dentist that goes above and beyond in comforting the little kiddos.  He's great really.  Growing up, I remember my dentist rarely coming in to converse with the "commoners" he was too busy.  I got stuck with the assistant and only got to glance upon Mr. Dentist when he came and scanned my teeth....called off a few number codes, and left.  Lovely eh?  Pediatric dentists are definitely the way to go.  Especially nice ones that aren't above the rest of us peons.


Anyway, lets jump back on the subject here before I write a book.  ;)  Addison....dentist....awesome.  She is such a great example to her little brother and this was just one of the many ways.  Of course, at least what he saw of her as he toddled off and jumped around on the bean bag chairs during our visit.  

She jumped right up on the chair, donned her "princess glasses" and opened up nice and wide.  She even did great at getting her x-rays done for the first time.  I was expecting that huge piece of moving machinery would wig her out a bit but she did great.  We ALMOST got a clean bill of health before we were sent on our way but sadly the x-ray proofs showed a teeny tiny small little cavity on the side of her tooth.  Invisible to the naked eye apparently.  Bummer.  Time to step up the lessons on how to floss (how do I teach my child to floss when I can't stand doing it either?  Hmmmppph).  Oh well, it just meant we got to see the dentist two days later for a cavity fill.  

I went in to this visit explaining to her that it was a little different than what she'd experienced thus far.  I didn't utter a word about the numbing shot (which I had even forgotten about) but I did mention the funny clown nose that she'd get to wear and that they were going to do a little scrub-a-roo on her hurt tooth and then she'd be done.  

Again....she handled it like a champ.  Seriously, the shot....amazing.  I didn't even see her wince.  I had to confirm that it was indeed the shot when the dentist finished and raved about how brave she was.  She barely budged an inch during it all.  I kept trying to touch her leg and let her know I was still there since there was no room to add my head to the professionals heads looming over her tiny little mouth.  She did great and that was that.  She was thrilled to get even MORE toys on her way out and she even did good to bite down on the "tooth pillow" they sent her home with until her cheeks got their feeling back.  So proud of my girly....and this is just one more way I am.  Way to go Addison! 
Killing some time before our Dentist appointment and enjoying our free hot Krispy Kreme.  
Probably not the best idea to do BEFORE going to the Dentist but it was fun!  I'll pretend her one teeny tiny cavity was in no way linked to this tasty treat.
Getting familiar with that big moving x-ray machine.  
Pretty girl showing off her pearly whites.  Cutest smile around for miles I'd say!

1 comments:

Jean Fields said...

I thought I loved the goggles smile - oh my!!! Her dentist smile has me in even more bliss!!! What a doll!!!