Friday, May 7, 2010

11 Months Old


Alas, I was finally able to catch-up with Addison and get some 11 month photos from her. She's more active than ever now and she hasn't even started walking yet! Who knows what is in store for us around the corner. Here are pics from our outdoor mini-photo shoot today. Just prior to this, we had a little battle over lunch so she's a bit blotchy from crying her eyes out. Luckily for both of us she gets over her tantrums quickly.


And speaking of tantrums, that is definitely one thing she has learned to do at 11 months. She doesn't throw them often but even few and far between it's still not fun. I'm convinced she is testing us as she explores this new world of hers. And I've definitely had time to hone my patience skills as we go through this phase together. I'm getting to be quite a big fan of the "walk-away method".

But of course she has learned TONS more cute stuff as well. She spends her days roaming around the house and exploring EVERYTHING. As a result, her actual toys now bore her. Her fascinations include the toilet paper roll, the bathtub, the shower, and any/all kitchen cabinets. With this new territory we've had lots of opportunity to learn about the word "No" and she has done amazingly well with this. I do have to use it repeatedly sometimes but every time I say it I see the gears clicking away as she figures out what it means. For the most part she is very obedient. I try to be selective with what involves a "No" and what doesn't - so she doesn't start tuning me out.

She loves being my little shadow. I'm still learning to love it as much as she seems to. Yes, sometimes I just want my space without those cute chubby hands crawling up my leg but if I had to pick a shadow to have - I'd pick her. It's amazing how frustrated I can be one minute and then within seconds she has me laughing so hard and loving her all over again.

She loves to jabber away and oftentimes gets into her own imaginary world - which I LOVE to see. Whether it's a piece of fabric, or a cup, or a spoon, she can play for hours while she jabbers away in all her different tones. It's hilarious to sneak up and watch her before she catches on. She has also learned to read books. We have tried hard to read to her all along the way and thankfully I think we are having an effect on her. She just started picking up books, turning the pages, and jabbering while looking at the pictures. This too, is fun to watch. I hope to post a video soon for all to see her new skills in this department.

She's also my new vacuum cleaner. No matter how many times I vaccum and try my hardest to get all the crumbs up, she will hone in on a speck a mile away and start a mad crawl toward it and have it in her mouth before I can catch her. And of course, once it hits her mouth it like breaking into Alcatraz to get it out. Her six little teeth clamp down tight and she fights my swooping finger every time. It's amazing how tight those new little teeth can be.

She also LOVES to dance. Anytime she hears music anywhere, she starts bopping her legs/body to the beat. And it's hilarious because we've never really "taught" her this but she has done it since she was a baby. I guess she was just born to boogie. Last week, as I waited to start my race, John and Addison sat alongside the crowd and waited. A local DJ had music blaring to pump everyone up and I turned around in time to see Addison sitting in her stroller bee-bopping to "Let's get it started in here..." It was hilarious. She definitely has rhythm so she must have gotten that gene from her Dad and not me.

Some say the first year flies by and while I've definitely had times where it's gone slow AND fast, I wouldn't trade it all for anything. It's so fun seeing Addison's personality come out and getting to spend every day with her. I love laughing with her. If I just bust out in laughter, she'll join in with her fake laughter and we just go back/forth until it turns into real laughter from both of us. She also has a fake cough she likes to use when she wants some extra attention. She must know how cute she is and how hard it is for us to resist her. I am so thankful Heavenly Father sent her to our family and I hope we can be the parents she needs as she grows up. It's all a learning experience that I'm so glad we get to go through. Can't wait to celebrate her 1st birthday at the end of this month! It's so weird thinking back to where we were a year ago. I can't believe what this year has brought us!

This is what she spends 90% of her time doing.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

So excited for her birthday coming up!! She is so big and SO adorable!

Chelsea said...

I can't believe she is almost a year old! She sounds just like Pressly... everything you listed is Pressly's favorite toys too, oh and the dogs water bowl. Before you know it she will be walking, I thought Pressly would never get it, within a week she was not crawling any longer. It is so fun!

Familia Morales said...

She is so cute!