Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sayonara

Today I say goodbye to one of my loves...at least temporarily. Yep, sadly Chick-fil-a will be out of my life for a time. All in the name of parenting. Addison has managed to throw a full-blown fit the last two times we ate there. And I'm talking "full-blown" as in everyone looks at me and wonders if I'm beating my child. "Full-blown" as in the Manager asks if she's okay while walking by. Yep, it's that kind. Do these people not have kids? I would think anyone who dines at Chick-fil-a could understand my parenting pains but maybe it's just me. I only assume either they don't enforce things with their kids or maybe their kids are little angels. Either way, mine is not....especially when at Chick-fil-a.

She loves to play in the play-place or the "inside playground". And frankly, I love to have her expel some energy while I sit and watch. However, the terms to play at the playground include eating her two pieces of chicken (so she doesn't have a lunch of apple juice and french fries) and acting like a big girl while doing it. So far we haven't been able to pull off both successfully. Which is why we leave with her kicking and screaming every.single.time.

Parenting is hard. Parenting a TWO-year old is even harder. I hope this is a phase and I hope my persistence pays off someday. I try to implement my "Love & Logic" skills in these moments. Uttering the words: "Don't let her see you sweat" under my breath during said tantrums. Again, it's hard. And frankly, I struggle the most with empathy. It all makes sense in theory but after a long day of battling the tantrums I don't even have a drop of empathy to squeeze out. So this is me restarting my attempts at consistent parenting. Because frankly when I fail at it, we both go crazy within minutes and the minutes seem like hours which seem like days.

Is it any coincidence that my weekly "Love & Logic" email today was entitled "You Can Do It!" Seriously, I walk in the door and sit at the computer while she's in her room for time-out and I read the Love & Logic email with a few encouraging words. "Keep It Up!" "No One is Perfect." "Those who succeed always hone one skill at a time." And alas, "Persevering is the best skill you can show your kids!" It's almost as if they are peering in my windows. I really do like the Love & Logic techniques. I just need to keep working on my skills. Wish me luck.....I'm going back into battle!

4 comments:

Alicia Rivoli said...

Been there, done that, feeling your pain! Jacob is my little terror when we are out. Don't give up, this to shall pass. :-)

Shannon said...

well, i wish i could say i have no idea what you are talking about, BUT, i do-and it does stink, BIG TIME! :) it does get better, with time. hang in there, you're doing a great job!

The LaBrue Crew said...

Those crazy people who say "parenting really isn't all that hard" are the ones giving into each of their child's fits and demands!I'm right there with you! It's a ton of friggen work to enforce things....all at the same time trying to not scream yourself! By the way, how do you get love & logic emails?I think I need to sign up for em'!

What's up with the Walkers! said...

I'm so proud of you! That you are staying strong and sticking with Love and Logic, because although I love the theory, it goes against every instinct of our human nature, so rarely can I do it consistently! Like you said though, every time I get one of their emails it seems to be exactly what I need to hear. Last time we had been dealing with issues at dinner time, and sure enough there was my love and logic email specifically reminding me not to fight about dinner:) How do they do it!