Thursday, October 11, 2012

Upside Down


I realize, I've used this picture of Addison and her amazing tricks before but figured it was the best way to describe this post.  One that is a little less funny and a little more serious but very much a part of our lives and something I think is important for us to document for our journaling purposes.  Lessons that we need to learn and re-learn, and learn again....oh and remember too.  

Recently, due to some unforeseen or predicted events, our little happy family life was turned upside down.  All within the matter of an hour or two.  It was a mixture of everything.  Crazy, chaotic, scary, unsettling, etc and because of it we've also ran the gamut of emotions...  sad, mad, scared, tears, happiness and strength.  It may seem odd that I include those last two but they are very important and focus more on the reason for this post.  Which is why I'm not going to focus on the actual "trial" we experienced but more of what we learned from it....and are continuing to learn from it.  

Surprisingly this is the first "trial" that John and I have experienced in our almost 5 years of marriage.  At least the only real significant one.  And although it has been nerve wracking and scary as we've made our way through the chaos and changes, it has been one of the best things that has happened to us....and our little family.  I highly recommend any/all married couples experience a trial together.  Just to learn what happens to the both of you when everything else seems to be falling down around you.  I even feel silly calling this a "trial" since others seem to be experiencing things that are SO much worse than us but it is ours and there is a reason we've been given this one for this moment in time. 

Throughout this process I've been amazed at how lucky I am to be married to such a perfect guy for me.  I've always liked him, and loved him, and thought a lot of him and never had any reason to complain but as we've gone through these last few weeks, I'm AMAZED at how much more he has grown and become.  And he really didn't have that far to go before folks!  I hope he can say the same for me as I've tried to hunker down on my focus and my priorities and hone in on the things that actually matter while leaving the rest of it behind.  He and I have become much more diligent about focusing on our family, the gospel, our relationship with each other, and our relationship with our Heavenly Father.  Part of me is embarrassed to say that it had to take this to make it happen but either way I am grateful.  As a couple we are praying more together, helping each other with the little things, focusing on our family priorities and future, and are more united than we've ever been.  

As a family, we've gotten TONS better about teaching our kids what is really important as well.  Reading scriptures, having FHE regularly, saying morning/evening family prayers more....you know all the things that we didn't think we had time for before.  We've also both learned to be more patient and loving and have spent more time marveling at the miracle that our kids are and trying to show our gratitude for them more as well. I feel like I should insert a disclaimer that I STILL have my harried days and impatient moments and that we aren't yet enveloped in butterflies and sugar kisses in our home but it's MUCH better than it was (and it wasn't that bad either).  Wow, lots of disclaimers....but I'm hoping you get where I'm going with this ;-).  

I've also learned how grateful I am for truly great friendships.  Those that are closest to us have been aware of the details of our trial and have been amazing at offering support whether it's been in service or blessings, or just a phone call or text to let us know they are thinking of us.  I'm always amazed at how much others truly care.  It motivates me to be a better friend as well.  

It's funny to say that in the midst of and even after this "trial" I'm sitting here in amazement and wonder asking the question "How Did I Get So Lucky?" but I am.  I'm blessed in knowing that my focus has changed, my friendships are stronger, my marriage is stronger, and I feel strengthened in it all.  I don't know what awaits us in our future or if/when this particular trial will be over or if we'll have reasons we didn't have before but I do know that if/when push comes to shove or things start to crumble again....my testimony will be stronger and my family will come together, and our priorities will come to the surface.  Basically, in all of my ramblings in this post I can sum it up into the following words:

I am blessed.  I am grateful.

1 comments:

Jean Fields said...

As I read your thoughts and innermost feelings I thought to myself, "I hope I can approach my trials as well as you and John with a grateful heart and putting what is most important first above all else." Thanks for your examples of courageous hearts.