Sunday, November 11, 2012

Adventures of Sadie

I did it.  I bit the bullet and I did it.  We actually signed up to bring home Addison's class pet for a weekend.  I got the courage to sign up once and actually went back and crossed my name off the list.  Then felt guilty when Addison kept asking when we were bringing Sadie to our house.  So, Sadie ended up coming to our house after all.

Let me first explain..... I'm NOT keen on the idea of raising any/all pets anytime soon.  I'm the mean parent that says "No" when Daddy starts getting them excited about getting a puppy.  I figure, I can barely raise my own children at this stage of the game....and I birthed them!  How would I ever raise a pet at the same time?  More messes, one more mouth to feed, one more life to sustain.....it ain't happening.  At least not anytime soon.  I'm all for entertaining the idea when our children are actually old enough to take some of the responsibilities themselves.

However, after bringing Sadie (the guinea pig) home Friday and seeing just how much Addison and Jonas doted on her and loved her and watched her, I ACTUALLY entertained the idea of a family pet. Keep in mind this was only within the first hour of renting this one.  After the weekend was done I had definitely changed my mind back.  

It was fun having her (for the first day) and Jonas actually adored her more than Addison.  On multiple occasions I would find him just staring at her, giggling, or even trying to dump her cage over and free her.  It was cute, I took pictures, etc etc.  

Day two and three consisted of me feeding her only to have her dump it out in her cage, and also moving her cage around the house just to get it out of Jonas' reach.  The kids forgot about her for the most part.  And did I mention we had to take her back in to school on Monday (our non-preschool day)?  Of course, I was more than willing to make the extra trip just to send her back and be done with it all.  

Oh and while Addison was holding her and feeding her carrots and lettuce, she bit her.  Luckily it didn't break the skin and once Addison calmed down I explained how Sadie probably just thought her finger was a carrot...silly Sadie.  Then I promptly threw her back in the cage for the duration of her stay.  Thankfully Addison did not acquire a fear of hairy rodents because of it and she quickly forgave her.  

All-in-all, it was a fun ONE time experience for the kiddos.  But, I'd much rather just give Sadie a wave as we drop Addison off at school in the mornings.  It's easier this way.  

Our first hour of bonding.  It was love.

Amazed at her ability to devour lettuce and carrots.


Fascinated little guy

0 comments: