Thursday, November 22, 2012

Turkey Lurkey

Today was Thanksgiving.  It's a fun holiday...especially when you don't have anywhere to travel....except down the road 4 miles (thank you Aunt Sarah).  Aunt Sarah has famously taken on Thanksgiving holiday for the past several years now.  She took last year off and I didn't blame her a bit.  It's hard work you know....even if you do assign out 95% of the food to your guests/family.  Hosting is not for the faint of heart.  Someday when I have a big house (far in the future at this rate) I will totally host Thanksgiving just to give Sarah a much needed break.  Of course, I doubt I'd come close to her hosting abilities that's for sure.


The two Woody's from Toy Story.  Now you have proof where Jonas' big head comes from.    Like Father like son!

We were supposed to bring the green bean casserole and green salad.  Totally easy assignments in my book.  However, we were also supposed to send Daddy over earlier so he could provide his contribution:  Fried Turkey.  He and Tom have been talking/dreaming about frying a turkey for years now.  Tom even had the gear.  They decided this year they were going to make it happen.  Coincidentally, I've been dreaming about EATING a fried turkey for years now as well.  So happy we were all able to live our dream.  And yes, it was everything I dreamt it to be.  So delicious folks!  I don't think I'll eat turkey any other way from now on.

Prepping the oil for the bird.

Delivery to the table.  Yes, we cleared all the children out of the vicinity for this process.  Both because we didn't want to scald anyone with a hot bird and also didn't want that deliciousness to end up on the ground instead of our mouths.

The boys and their bird.   Yum!

The day was nice and relaxing and the feast was delish!  Especially the part where all the cousins got to dine in the other room together while we adults enjoyed adult conversation.  Afterwards consisted of full stomachs, naps and lounging, and we wrapped up the evening with desserts and our annual traditional game of Catch Phrase.  It's always a fun game to play when Mama Jean is in the house.  We never keep score really....just enjoy laughing until our insides hurt from all the interesting attempts at word descriptions.

So thankful for soooo many things.  Namely, my family...both immediate and extended.  Thankful for our health and our home and our income.  Thankful for all the little blessings in between.  But, mostly that I get to spend my days with two cute little kiddos named Addison and Jonas.


Happy Thanksgiving!!

0 comments: