Saturday, September 14, 2013

Tag Along Trip

We had the lucky privilege of meeting up with some cousins this past weekend in Branson.  I heard through the grapevine that my sister and her family were planning a little trip to Silver Dollar City with some friends.  Since I never like to be left out, I hurried and invited myself and kiddos.  I'm hoping she didn't mind the extra four people tagging along and following her around like lost puppy dogs.  

John stayed home and worked so I drove the kids up to Branson Friday morning after Addison got out of preschool.  It's not too bad of a drive if you like windy curvy roads and you have a strong stomach.  Strange, but I do.  You see some beautiful country side along the way and it can go fairly fast if you timed it perfectly at naptime and you have snoozing kiddos in the back.  Thankfully two out of three of mine were out in minutes.  And thankfully my kiddos have strong stomachs as well.  It was a vomit-free trip.  And a mostly happy one since they knew they were going to see cousins and a fun hotel at the end of it....oh and Grandma Bell....how could we forget her?  She's my free nanny.  :)

Once we arrived in Branson, we picked up Grandma Bell on the street corner.....seriously we did.  She had parked and was ready to help haul luggage and kids up to the hotel.  I was reminded yet again how priceless her help can be.  She's great with the kids and is always quick to give me a break.  The kids adore her too so it's a win-win-win.  

We scored a nice "condo-unit" at the Hilton using our points and we stayed in it long enough to throw on swimming suits and head down to the pools.  My kids have turned into fish and I love it.  Except for the part where Jonas still jumps up (instead of out) when jumping into the pool.  I'm wondering how many times his bum will meet the pavement before he figures it out.  Anyway, we got a quick swim in and had a blast while Grandma hung out w/Brooklyn.  Then we changed and walked across the street to meet up with Michelle and clan for some dinner.  It was a relaxing evening that ended with a little bit of park play.

The next day we arrived at Silver Dollar City with about 40 kajillion other people (I lost count).  It was crazy but luckily Grandma Bell is good at juggling a double stroller while I have one child strapped to the front of me and one hand for each of the other two.  We went straight to the kiddie-land and rode some fun rides and saw a couple of shows.  The kiddos were having a blast with each other.  It's so nice to see them running around together and jabbering away with each other.  I love that they have close relationships with their cousins.  I also love the fact that they bug me less when cousins are around.  

We managed to do enough things at Silver Dollar City to wear ourselves out by evening time.  At the end of our stay Aunt Michelle had actually convinced Addison to ride The American Plunge.  I was surprised and of course had to join them so I could make sure she didn't fall out of the boat.  Jonas came along for the ride so Grandma Bell could use her hands to juggle two babies.  I was trying to anticipate how my kids would do on their first "big-person ride."  I kept reiterating to Addison that once we are in the boat we can NOT get out until it's over.  She seemed to understand.  The ride itself is a bunch of floating in a log and then going down a big hill at the end and being sprayed with water.  After it was over we were drenched (mostly Jonas and I) and there were a few tears from Jonas.  I kept overacting all happy-like so they'd realize it was "fun" what we just did....and not scary.  It seemed to work.  Except when I asked Addison if she liked it she said "Yes, I liked it except for that big hill."  Um, yes child that big hill is 90% of the actual ride.  At least she didn't bail ship mid way through.  We'll see if she lets me take her on it again.  ;)

Overall it was a fun time and we were tuckered out and ready to make the voyage back home to Daddy.  We stopped for some dinner w/Grandma before hitting the road.  We had a little delay after dinner when I was trying to juggle tired kids, a hungry baby, and now a van that wouldn't start.  Lovely.  I almost melted down with exhaustion.  I immediately had visions of me being stranded with three kids at 9:00 at night in the middle of nowhere on country roads.  Luckily, we got jumped by Grandma and the van returned us home safely to Daddy.  It was a fun trip....most of it at least. 

I only managed to get one picture during our whole trip - but it was a good one!  This is Jonas, soaking wet, after riding the American Plunge.  Such a brave boy!

0 comments: