Friday, November 22, 2013

A Bunch of Sickos

For a good three week span this house has been infested with sickies and everything that goes with it.  By the symptoms we had I'm guessing it was the flu even though we dutifully got our flu shots.  Must have been a different strand....oy it was not fun.

It all started with Addison.  We spent the Saturday evening with Grandma Bell visiting us and enjoying a nice little ward chili dinner and talent show.  It was jam packed with people but it was pretty fun.  We all enjoyed ourselves.  However, by the time we got home Addison wasn't feeling good, had a temperature, and spent the night barfing in a bucket while I laid next to her.  I think she puked about five times that night.  It was a long night for both of us.  She spent the next day still somewhat sick so we stayed home from church while Daddy and Jonas went by themselves.  All in all, I think she endured the yuckies for about three days total (with a random well day thrown in the middle of it).  I must say I'm soooo grateful she has reached the age of knowing when and how to throw up in a bucket instead of wherever it lands.  

Jonas, on the other hand, is still learning this trait.  Yep, he came down with the sickies and fever on Monday.  He's like his Momma, he gets pretty miserable and whiney when he isn't feeling well.  I think his followed the same course as Addison's and then finally he was over it.  I laid by him in my big bed and kept a bucket nearby for when he would start crying.  I quickly learned it was his signal that something was coming up soon.  However, he also was convinced that his barf bucket being near him actually made him barf....so he'd keep pushing it away.  Luckily we caught the majority of his as well.  It was so hard to see both of the kiddos sick.  I was just hoping Brooklyn escaped it all.

Next one that was down for the count was me.  It was miserable folks.  I'm convinced I got the bug just so I would be able to better relate to how miserable it was for my kids.  And I'm also convinced they either get a milder case with a longer duration and I got a shorter duration but a more intense bug.  Either that or I'm just a big baby.  I was literally down for the count.  As in 'can't get out of the bed or else I'll run to the bathroom puking' status.  I spent the whole miserable day in bed and every muscle was sore.  I spent most of the day and night using my puke bowl as well and wasn't able to keep a thing down.  It was bad.  And luckily, John came through and transformed into Mr. Mom and kept the kids alive.  I could NOT have endured that while taking care of three kids (especially when one is a 4 month old).  I could barely prop myself up to nurse her the few times I did.  The house was a mess but the kids were alive and that was all I cared about.  

Luckily, for awhile there, it seemed the bug left our house and we were on the mend.  It made for a long week since we all tag-teamed and stretched out the sickies as long as possible.  I was sooo grateful to have a somewhat functioning body once it was all over.  The only good news was that I hit my lowest weight I've seen in years!  It's funny what not eating for two straight days will do to ya!

Unluckily, the bug returned for me the very next week.  It was a different bug with different symptoms.  I think this one was the stomach flu.  I've had it before and it involves intense stomach cramps and of course...puking.  I have NO idea why anyone saw fit to give me two serious ailments in such a short amount of time.  However, once again John stayed home from work and kept the house from falling down around me.  I was making myself more sick just wondering how I'd be able to keep the kids alive with him at work.  Thank heavens he took pity on me and my midnight crying spell about all my worries for the next day.  Again, I managed to maintain that weight loss!  Woohoo.  My consensus?  It wasn't worth it.  I hate being sick folks....it's miserable.  I don't know anyone who particularly likes it but I think I hate it even more than the average person.  ;)

And one more thing for the records.  You know the saying Mom's sometimes say about "I wish I could take the sickness from my child so they could be well."  Um, I disagree.  Don't get me wrong....I hate seeing my babies get sick.  It's no fun.  However, in my opinion it's even worse when I'm the one sick and they are well.  Who steps in to take my spot?  I'm convinced the Momma needs to be well and good so she can nurse the ailing children.  Ultimately, if I had the choice I would obviously choose for no one to get sick...however, I think me being well and them getting the yuckies is the better scenario.  They need their Momma to nurse them back to health!

So glad we have that course of yuckies behind us.  I'm hoping nothing is looming in our near future.  One of the many reasons I'm not a fan of winter.  Too many sickes and it's too cold.

Aunt Sarah saved the day with a delivery of the sickly essentials.  Luckily, the kids were on the mend here and helping Daddy disinfect the house.

1 comments:

She Loves The Color Pink said...

I'm so with you. If my kids are sick they get a special made up bed, juice, movies, etc. If mom is sick everyone wants to die because everything is chaos! Glad everyone is better now. Yikes!!!