Thursday, November 28, 2013

Turkey Talk

Thanksgiving this year was a success!  Mostly, because we got to stay close to home and got to do LOTS of relaxing.  My sweet sister-in-love Sarah happily hosted it over at her house again and we were all so thankful.  We were even lucky enough to come the day before and help prep some of the food before the big day.  I'd almost say the day before Thanksgiving was my favorite just because we got to catch up and visit while the kiddos played and we chopped veggies.  I even got to enjoy a nice little cuddle with Brooklyn afterward on Sarah's comfy couches.  It gave me lots of time to sit and reflect for what I'm thankful for.  

Enjoying cuddles with my cute, sleeping, baby.  One of the best places to be I think.

Dinner was delicious of course and everyone managed to stuff themselves.  Where there's a will there's a way!  John and Tom rallied together earlier on Turkey day to perfect the frying of the bird.  I think it is now their yearly tradition.  John bought some seasonings to give it a cajun flair.  Along with an injection needle to juice/season the inside of it.  I'd have to say I'm a BIG fan of fried bird.  It is sooo good.  Even the extra seasonings gave it a great flavor as well.  I think we had at least two birds...maybe three...to eat at our dinner table.  

What is also equally as fun is seeing the cousins all playing together.  I love that Jonas and Addison are at the age now where they can run around and keep up with the older cousins.  And I also love that their older cousins love them tagging along.  They are so helpful with them and I'm grateful.  It's also nice to sit and not have them sitting on top of me either.  I literally do not see them from the minute I walk in the door until the minute it's time to head for home.  They do a great job of wearing them out that's for sure.  I appreciate the break.

I'm also grateful for my in-laws.  I definitely got blessed in this department (especially when I hear stories from others).  My in-laws are easily like family to me.  I know no one is without fault or perfect but they are definitely a perfect fit for me and I'm grateful that I can be so comfortable around them as well.  I'm a lucky girl.

I'm definitely grateful for my own little family.  Can I still call it "little" with three kids now?  I guess it works since they are still little in size.  These three kids keep me busy almost every day and every minute of the day but I don't think I'd have it any other way.  They are perfectly suited for me and I know without a doubt they are here to teach me and help me grow.  It seems like I need a constant reminder sometimes.  I won't lie, taking care of three kids age 4 and younger can definitely have it's moments.  But they all contribute so much to our family I can't imagine life without them.  I used to sit and wonder what my future kids would look like or act like....I like knowing that now I know the answer to that.  And I especially like watching their little personalities develop right in front of my eyes.  They may all be spitting images of their father but I love seeing little personality traits they get from me.  Oh and Jonas can soooo rock that huge forehead I gave him.  ;)

I'm also grateful for my husband.  He's pretty much everything I needed and wanted whether I knew it all at the time or not.  I'm grateful Heavenly Father made it so apparent to me that this was the man I needed to marry.  Our marriage isn't perfect (who's is?) but I like knowing that I get to go down this road with him.  It's so fun being able to spend the rest of your life hanging out with your best friend and always having someone who has your back.  I especially love that he reminds me to focus on our friendship and the importance of it as we seem to get caught up in kids and the chaos that comes with them.    He reminds me often that life isn't to just be endured but enjoyed.  And with my personality I seem to need that reminder frequently.  ;)

I'm grateful for my side of the family.  I fully embrace all of our quirks (we seem to have a lot) and especially am grateful that no matter what, we all love each other and when push comes to shove we would all sacrifice to help in a moments notice.  It can be easy to get caught up in our own immediate families and our own schedules but I appreciate that my family makes it a priority to gather and visit often.

And lastly, I'm thankful for the gospel.  I don't spend much time bearing my testimony from the pulpit (maybe something I should look into changing? ;)  But, I'm grateful for the peace and the direction that the gospel brings me.  It gives me such a perspective and a way to pattern my life - and my children's lives - so we can all live with Heavenly Father again.  I'm grateful that John and I made it a priority to marry in the temple so that we could be sealed together as a family.  That has brought so many blessings into our lives and our marriage.  Namely, our cute little three kiddos.  We are blessed beyond measure in so many ways and all of those ways can easily be pointed back to living the gospel.  I'm grateful for the sacrifice that Christ gave us and for all the sacrifices all the prophets have given so that we may know Heavenly Father and what we are to do on this earth so we can return and live with him.  

In summary, I am blessed and I am thankful.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Addison and Grandpa Fields spent some time just hanging out while waiting for the turkey.

0 comments: