Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Getting Old

It's official.  I'm old.  The ripe old age of 36.  It's weird because I never imagined myself in my late 30's.  I used to think it was soooo old.  But now that I'm there....I think 50 is soooo old.  I still feel young so that helps right?  ;)

It's always a nice occasion to celebrate my birthday.  In the life of being a full-time stay-at-home Mommy it's just nice to have a break in the monotony AND to have the rest of the family wait on you hand and foot all day long.  If that takes turning another year older then sign me up!  It's the little things that get me excited.  

The day started out great.  John left "for work" and had me convinced he forgot my birthday altogether but then came back with donuts for breakfast.  

These two kindly brought in a stack of donuts on a plate, sang happy birthday to me, and then promptly each took one and ate them.  Luckily, I told Daddy on them and he got me some more donuts.  They make cute little stinkers though!
The pampering didn't end there.  Daddy had to run to work to do a quick interview but promised to come back and resume my spoiling.  And that he did.  He whisked the older two kiddos away to do birthday stuff while I napped with Brooklyn.  

Cuddling up with this sweet face?  Heaven.

Then, they came back with some yummy lunch from Chick-fil-a and spent the rest of the afternoon working on decorations and presents and dinner.  I was ordered to my bedroom but I never mind accepting that order.  It's almost a present by itself!

This is the yummy dinner I came out to.  Daddy always knows the way to my heart...grilling a yummy steak.  Mmmmm....Delish!

After dinner I was spoiled with gifts.  I got a sweet little charm of a bear foot print (to put on my charm bracelet) and a sweet story Daddy put together about Mama Bears taking care of their baby bears for life.  I later learned that Addison picked out that charm ALL by herself.  So sweet.  I also got some sweet birthday cards and hand prints and notes.  It was a great day.


Mommy and her girls blowing out the candles. 
Brooklyn definitely approves of Daddy's homemade cake.  She was a fan!

It was a great day and I enjoyed feeling the love from both my sweet family and my wonderful friends.  I am a blessed lady and I definitely realize this on multiple occasions.

The end of the day came my last "gift" from John....he penned this note to me and put it on my Facebook.  He has a way with words and I love it.  He just doesn't have a way with remembering birthdays apparently.  ;)

Shannon,

My last gift for your birthday is a well needed confession.

Knowing that in six years of marriage to me the bar has been lowered to epic levels of well...low; you are probably moderately impressed with your Birthday proceedings today.

Don’t be.

This time last night while checking out an online game a coworker told me about (A very cool one btw – Titanfall looks amazing!), I noticed it was March 24th. I quickly came to a twofold conclusion wrought with dishonor: Tomorrow was your birthday, and I had nothing planned. Nuth. Eeng.

Had I not “remembered”, my high-school theatre worthy performance this morning of “fake forgetting” your birthday before coming back with breakfast in bed would have been Oscar worthy.

In my literal 11th hour of need, the best gift I could think of was a day devoted to you.

I have to admit, I was a little impressed with my last minute plans: Breakfast in bed, taking the kids for a few hours (to desperately look for a meaningful gift), dinner, home made cake (please be edible). Not bad. In less than 1 hour I was able to go from complete unawareness of your birthday to pride of my belated plan! This rapid transformation from shame to pride can only be ascribed to the disease known as manhood. My epiphany occurred upon closer examination of my plan. The emotion I experienced could best be described as distilled shame. The purest form fashioned only by truly naked self-reflection:

What I “gifted” to you for one day you freely give to our family every day.

Shame is a dish best consumed while hiding in your t-shirt because that’s how you roll when embarrassed. Tonight, I dine!

Best friends are the easiest to take for granted because they never stop giving. Your friendship has taught me a lot. I couldn’t stop loving you if I tried but liking is a choice. And I like you. Your belly laugh is intoxicating. It is all I want. Your daily 3-sneezes each morning is adorable and scientifically unexplainable: Hypoallergenic filters, Zyrtec, Claritin, fans, no fans – it is truly the Roswell of our marriage! Speaking of conspiracy theories, I like that everyone adores you. I find it very peculiar that I have never heard anyone speak ill of you. Perhaps along with your elite affability you are equally adept at silencing your enemies?

Anyways, I’m grateful for your father who inexplicably convinced your mother to marry and procreate. (Just kidding Randy, great guy!) Without you Randy I would be the old creepy single uncle at family gatherings.

I’m sorry that the birthday you enjoyed today was penned on paper with ink that is still drying. My confessional is now complete. I love you.

Happy Birthday!

Love,
John

1 comments:

Melinda said...

I love the letter. So like a man.