Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Under Construction

Just recently, one of my wife-long dreams came true.  You'd think that bearing and raising my three gorgeous babes were those dreams....they are of course...but not the one I'm devoting this post to.  You'd think marrying my amazing husband would be that dream come true but alas, it is of course, but it isn't...

What is it then you ask?

WOOD.FLOORS.

Simple, really.  I've been dreaming about them for sometime.  I'm guessing John just got tired of hearing me dream out loud and decided we should bite the bullet and use our tax refund money on them.  Whether he thought we needed them or he was just trying to shut me up, or he was wanting me to stop drooling over buying a $400 carpet shampooer at Sam's...I'll never know.  All that matters really is that we FINALLY got rid of our NASTY carpet!  Can I get an Amen!?  Hallelujah?!

It was a beautiful day.  Actually it spanned the course of about three days.  It involved John and I moving all furniture out of the living area in the dark of night while the kids slept.  We wanted to make sure everything was just so for when the wonderful floor layer people came the next morning.  And let me just tell you....once the furniture was removed and the carpet was just exposed....it was DISGUSTING.  I was tempted to do a happy dance over it knowing it was the last night I'd be spending with it.  

Luckily, I got to hole up with three kids in the master bedroom while the floor people went to work.  It got a bit crazy and claustrophobic but it did give me ample opportunity to check their progress and amp up my excitement.  We also spent one of the days literally living out of the car and driving from place to place just to kill time.  Doing that with three kids ALL day long can be exhausting.  And we were.  But again, looking back, it was soooo worth it to enjoy the end result.

Hardwood floors!  Well, not the real kind.  The laminate kind.  Which is the only kind our house is worthy of.  Beggars can't be choosers and I was pleased as punch just to get the laminate floors.  We were all in love with them when the process was all over.  

To this day, I thoroughly enjoy seeing what kind of crud I can sweep up on these floors.  And it's quite the variety when you have little kids.  I love just knowing that a simple sweep gets the floors clean.  And that a quick spray-mop brings out the shine.  I will always enjoy just sweeping up dinner messes on hard floors as opposed to watching them embed in the carpeted floor of yesteryear.  It was disgusting.  It should be against the law to make a dining room floor carpet.  

This was the end of Day 1 Installation.  We just couldn't contain our excitement to test them out even if they were only half laid.  Jonas is a blur because he's going THAT fast.  Hardwood floors make you faster ya know.
Blurry Addison was having just as much fun.  We held many a race that evening before bed.  
So, it was a great day in the Hufford house.  This Mama is happy.  Especially every time I sweep the crud up and throw it away.  Never to see a carpet stain again...well at least in this room.  ;)

0 comments: