Monday, June 2, 2008

Limited Imagination


As a child I never played much pretend. I had an imagination mind you, it just consisted of playing very realistic games. A personal favorite of mine was our invented game of "Runaway Kids" (not an indication of my mother's parenting abilities whatsoever ;-). After all, even at a young age, I knew it was quite feasible for children to run away. Not so much for aliens to come and abduct them though. I never spent much time as a child fantasizing about unicorns, or aliens, or monsters. Naturally, as an adult I've maintained my very realistic mindset. I've always told people, if it can't happen in real life than I don't want to watch it in a movie. Typically, the minute an alien comes on the screen, I roll my eyes and mutter a "oh I'm so sure" and tune out for the rest of it. (i.e. Signs w/Mel Gibson).


This limited imagination never posed a problem until I married John. He's an avid gamer, a watcher of Star Wars (all of them) and quite the Harry Potter fan. He was rather surprised when I mentioned I'd never ever seen Star Wars-any of them. Simply put, we both had to learn to lean a little toward each other's directions. He accompanied me to my chick flicks for quite some time before I relented and watched "Iron Man" with him a few weekends ago. (NOT a fan of THAT movie) I spent the two hours wondering what else I could do with my time. Seriously, a man made of iron that flies? Riiigghhhtt. However, I'm teaching myself to explore the possibilities of the outside world. John did win me over when we watched "Stardust" (highly recommend it). Yes it's got the witches, and goblins etc but it also has one heckuva story line so I was able to look past all those odd characters.

Anyway, my point I'm making is this last weekend we took some friends of ours to see the new Indiana Jones (I've never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies, Rocky, or Harry Potters) granted only a few of these require an active imagination but you get my point. There is a bit of "unrealism" in Indiana Jones. I know...shocker isn't it? So, John's work gave us a free screening of the movie at our local theater. I figured what better time to watch this movie than for free! It also helped that they provided us with free corn and pop. Granted we had to get our butts there by 9:30 am but there isn't much I won't do for something free. It's one of my favorite words and one of the few things that still get me excited!!

So, in summary....my thoughts on the movie? John filled me in on the back story and I came in prepared for who knew what. I had low expectations and lets just say they were met. Hahaha. Actually the movie wasn't too bad. It was unrealistic yes, had some way cheesy lines yes, but it did make me want to go home and finally watch the first two. And frankly that is saying a LOT! Who knew I could get an imagination at such an old age? My future kids will benefit from this I'm sure of it.

1 comments:

Deleen said...

Don't bother with "The Temple of Doom" You can just thank me now for that suggestion.