Sunday, June 22, 2008

Roller Derby Reunion

Please forgive my delayed posts....things have been rather busy here with work, family, and various outings. One would think that means I have a TON to post about but I'm struggling with figuring out what has kept us so busy exactly???
Well for those who read my post about the Roller Derby, you'll be anxious to know we ventured back a 2nd time. I guess we just couldn't get enough of those fishnet stockings. Of course this time was a special "Girls Night Out" while the husbands were in a priesthood meeting. It was a blast - actually more eventful than the previous time. Sarah (my sis-in-law) was the planner of the event and she did a great job at entertaining Dana, Courtney and myself. And as luck would have it, the "Backwood Betties" (of Northwest Arkansas) were skating against my old alma mater of sorts (the COMO Derby Dames). Thankfully I didn't see any old acquaintances of mine on the team...phew.

We decided to start the "white-trash-themed" evening with a little Mexican food (it seemed fitting ;-) and happened upon a place we had never heard of or seen before. Some may know that the best mexican food can usually be found in the hole-in-the-wall restaurants....coincidentally that is where the worst mexican food can be found too. However, we lucked out and actually enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Jose's.

After dinner, we ventured over to the Roller Derby and assumed our "regular" seats. Courtney and Dana were the Roller Derby virgins so Sarah and I showed them the ropes....and the very entertaining sights. The audience is sometimes more interesting to watch than the skaters. Just a few things we witnessed this evening: an 80 year old referee crashing down on his skates in front of us, a winged batman on skates - some type of mascot for the Derby Dames, a full bearded and mustached "he-she" wearing a skirt and tank top (fake boobs included), and alas the wet britches of afore mentioned 80 year old man after the event was over. Not sure if he is just a heavy sweater or perhaps had an "accident" when he had his accident.

For those that know me best, I LOVE gawking at people at fairs, airports, malls, and now...roller derby's. There is so much to see when certain interesting people come out of the woodwork so to speak. It always makes me feel SO much more normal afterwards. Sometimes it even helps me relive and move past my own white-trash roots I experienced as a young lad (thank you dad for creating those).

After all was said and done we had a great time on our gal outing and the roller derby was a smashing success. The roller derby gals were even more agressive this time which provides plenty o entertainment for us paying patrons. Sadly, I think Sarah and I have now become "regulars" as certain people welcomed us back when we were leaving. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. They were asking for "groupies" to join the team on tour - so if Sarah and I ever get bored....it's always an option!

Here are a few pics from our evening (stolen from Dana and Sarah's blogs ;-):

Sarah, Me, Sweaty Bat Boy, and Courtney (you may notice my distaste for his nasty armpits)



Dana and I enjoying our Mexican Fiesta Dinner before the big event.


Dana, Courtney and I posing by the wall.



0 comments: