Thursday, April 22, 2010

I'm THAT Mom



So, for the past week Addison has been dealing with a bit of the yuckies. Nothing major, just a constant snotty nose. But it isn't fun when it keeps her up at night and I have to wrestle her with the booger sucker just to clean it all out so she can breath.

This is what kids go through right? The yuckies come and go and the immune system gets stronger and stronger. So, I talked myself out of taking her to the doctor and just letting it run it's course.


Then came today. She woke up and had a rattle in her chest/throat...something. So I thought to myself....should I call the doctor or no? I kept reassuring myself it was just a minor yucky and all was well. Then I got flashbacks of the first 3 months of her life and the constant congestion she dealt with....and if this was that. Which escalated into the ear tube surgery - was this affecting that etc. (Did I mention her ear was draining brown waxy stuff?)

I didn't want to turn into an overly paranoid mama and asked John what he thought. He said it was worth getting it looked at just to see if it was serious or not. I told myself if it takes a $30 co-pay for some peace of mind then it's worth it.
So, my wonderful doctor got us in today and we went. And came home. Without any medications. And I confirmed to myself that I am "that mother". The overreacting paranoid type.

My doc just confirmed it was the minor yuckies and all was well. I asked him how I'll know next time if it's serious or minor and he gave me a list of suggestions all of which included a 3 act play in which he impersonated a list of ailments and symptoms and included barking coughs and wheezes...just for me. Did I mention he's a wonderful doctor? But then came the blow to my ego. He also suggested that maybe I could buy my very own stethoscope from Walmart so I can just listen to her 'lil chest cavity all on my very own next time. Um....seriously? Am I really THAT bad that I need to invest in my own stethoscope? Em.Barr.Ass.Ing.

So I thanked him for his reenactment of the common cold symptoms, took my healthy baby, paid my copay, and headed home. My head hung in shame. I used to make fun of people like me....now I'm THAT person!! :(


Maybe it's my Mom's fault since we never EVER went to the doctor when we were growing up. Seriously folks. Never. Even after my foot got bloodied in bike spokes and skin was removed. No doctor. Just soaked in water and Epsom salt.

So, I reasoned, I'm pushing the extreme in the other direction to compensate maybe? Or maybe....just maybe...I'm a first time mom that is still honing her "motherly instincts". I'd like to think it's the latter of the two.
Either way, I have a healthy (or at least getting there) baby. Even if it took a $30 copay and mild embarrassment to confirm it.

7 comments:

Natalie said...

At least you didn't take her to the ER after hearing her cough once. I get to x-ray those a lot.

She Loves To Make said...

haha this is so funny! I love that the doctor put on a little act for you--he really is the best!
I say better to have her checked then worry!

Tamara said...

I'm just crackin up b/c you typed the word "Ass" on your blog. That right!!! You know me....cracking up. And all this time, you KNOW you could've written "em.bar.as.sing"...but NO SIR REE....you wanted to put in a bad word! And that's why I loves ya..... :) Your lil girl is gettin so big. We definitely gotta get together the next time you're up this way!!

Darrell and Alissa said...

What a great doctor... it's so great when they will help you understand instead of making you feel bad/ dumb for not knowing if they are sick. I'm on my fourth child and STILL go to the doctor when it's "just a virus." But on the other hand I also have had times where I have thought my kids have jsut had a cold an then it turns out it was pneumonia.... trust me that's way more embarrASSing then being too paranoid..
I wouldn't even know how to listen for a rattle in the chest with a stethescope- I'll leave that to the dr!:)

What's up with the Walkers! said...

Don't feel bad at all, that's no big deal...like you said its $30 for peace of mind and always better safe then sorry:)

Josie said...

If you're ever wanting to play dr--I have a stethescope from dave's infant days that the hospital gave me ;)

I went in for something like that with Dave too. The dr diagnosed him with..............lots of earwax.

Sigh.

Colton Anne said...

That's funny! Nick has the same disease as your Mom...growing up it wasn't normal for us to go the doctor either, but that was because Dad or Grandpa could take care of it being doctors....it's so hard for me to have the reins pulled on by Nick to not take them in sometimes...but I do have to say that I really and truly think it makes them stronger!