Sunday, April 25, 2010

My First 5K-I survived!!

John, Addison & I, pre-race, and soaking wet already.

A lifelong goal has now been achieved. This past Saturday I ran my first 5k. Surprisingly, it has taken me longer to commit to a 5k than it has to marriage or a family. I've dreamt of running one for years but for some reason always had an excuse. Luckily, with the help and excitement of our friend Dana, she got me pumped up and motivated for my first 5k - The Race For The Cure.

As luck would have it, my first 5k was in POURING down rain. The downpour did manage to lessen long enough for me to run but of course picked right back up with pelting rain right as I crossed the finish line. With all the sheets of rain we had to leave right afterward and thus missed out on all the freebies from the vendors. That was part of my motivation for completing the race! :(

My lovely Mooma came down to cheer us on and watch Addison while John and I ran. Actually, John could only walk thanks to his bad ankle - but he got to cross the finish line with our friends, Brad and Jenny and still had a blast.

Addison & Grandma.
She adores this woman....and we definitely do too since she was our live-in nanny for the whole weekend!
Thanks Mooma/Grandma!


Addison getting friendly with the Chick-fil-a cow before the race.
The same cow that had Garrett running in fear, Addison found very intriguing.

Here's the whole race crew waiting for our turn to run (minus Dana). It was such a fun experience to share with everyone we hardly noticed the rainy/yucky weather. It made for some great memories.


And here I am post-race with my cheer-leading crew.
According to my watch, I actually beat my practice time by 5 minutes. I finished the race in 35 minutes! Not too shabby considering I'm just in the beginning stages of being a "runner". (VERY beginning ;-)


All in all, it was a LOT of fun.....especially once I got past the pain of the first hill at the beginning of the race. The rain was a minor bump in the road but it was still great feeling the adrenaline in the air, being cheered on by strangers, and hanging out with friends and family and creating memories. Now, I think I'm addicted to running 5k's and am looking for my next one! Sign me up!! :D

7 comments:

Lisa R said...

Awesome!! I love running as well! It feels good to get out and get in shape! Good job!

Shannon said...

YAY!!! Good job, I am so proud of you-that is AWESOME!!! I am glad you liked it so much too. It is weird how you can gor from not liking running (well that was me) to enjoying it quite a bit! Good job!

She Loves To Make said...

You rock! I wish I would've done one now...maybe next year?

What's up with the Walkers! said...

How do you do it! I'm still trying to figure out how you can love running so much and I hate it...I think I'm the only one left I know that hasn't ran a race!

Natalie said...

This post has inspired me to get off the computer and go run. Thanks! I owe you one!

Colton Anne said...

Go Shannon!! Glad it all went well!

Dana said...

YOU DID AWESOME! And I'm so glad you are going to do more. Its a good addiction to have, trust me there are worse things to be addicted to. I hope it does not rain this weekend.
I was sooo bumed about the rain to, we only stayed for a moment after you. I did score some pink ankle socks though.