Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Abuelo's Reunion

John and I got to spend a few days with my Dad and his wife Marchelle a few weeks ago.  This was their first visit to see us and we had to give them the grand tour of Arky.  Our "tour" always includes a dinner at our favorite restaurant Abuelo's and this visit wasn't any different.  Aside from the fact that we had a mini-reunion while we were there.  John and I have eaten there so many times it would be embarassing to give the exact number.  Each time we do, I always see this waiter that I swear looks just like my Dad.  (Yes, my dad does get mistaken as being mexican although it's not in our blood line at all - I swear).  Anyway, each time I point out the waiter John agrees with me on his resemblance to my father.  So, as luck would have it, guess who is working the night we take my Dad and Marchelle to dinner?  Yup!  My dad's "brother from another mother".  Once we show him his look-a-like he not so subtly keeps trying to stare at him each time he comes out.  Finally, John gets up enough courage to call the guy over and asks him for a picture.  I'm sure the guy thinks we are psychotic but he just laughs it off and smiles for the camera.  Such a good sport - just like my dad!! Hahaha.  So, what are your thoughts?  Granted there is a height difference and my Dad isn't smiling but c'mon - can you see it?

After our little reunion we got to finish our tour of Arky.  We toured the Walton 5&10, ate some delicious food at The Station and did some shopping at a flea market for Marchelle's rare find of Roseville Pottery.  We also had some time to reflect on memories from my childhood way back when.  When I was little we traveled to Bella Vista every year to sell sliced caramel apples at the Bella Vista Festival.  We spent YEARS doing this so I have vivid memories of child labor at an early age as I washed apples in the freezing cold, counted money back to customers, and my least favorite - handing out samples to complete strangers.  Did I mention I was a shy girl?  Anyway, in our rare time off, my siblings and I would play on the rock mountain and shop for Christmas presents for each other with our "paycheck".  It provided some great memories and they definitely came flooding back as I walked around the grounds with my Dad on his visit.

0 comments: