Saturday, August 27, 2011

Going Out With A Bang!

So, it must be said...I am still preggo. My due date (the 25th) came and went with nothing eventful happening. I spent the day before my due date, at my doctor's office watching him shaking his head and saying..."Still a 1.5, not effaced...hmmmm". We even went as far as to set an induction date. September 1st - so at least I have an official countdown date. That should help right? Eh, somewhat...it still seems kinda far away. Not to mention that ANY day past the beloved due date seems like E.T.E.R.N.I.T.Y.!! My doctor has mentioned from the get go that going overdue was likely - especially since I did w/Addison. So I should have been prepared mentally right? Eh, I still cried when I realized it was going to happen again. Just a little - but I'm entitled right? Kinda dissappointed in my body and it's lack of ability to kick a baby out on it's own. I know it's probably more healthy to be "positive-minded" and to order my request of a natural labor in the universe - but mostly I'm being realistic and realizing my body just doesn't like a schedule.....ever.

So, I'm doing the only thing one hugely, overdue, pregnant, woman can do. Living it up for the next week! Woohoo! It's gonna be sooo exciting it'll go down in the record books folks. I'm eating anything/everything I please. Cleaning/nesting up a storm (and to be honest I did have a few more things on my "to-do before baby comes" list). Catching some extra Zzzz's (when I don't have to roll this huge belly around). And having just plain old fun in the meantime. That means LOTS of dates: Mommy/Addison dates, Family dates, and even a GNO thrown in there for good measure. Must.Occupy.My.Mind. At least until September 1st. Then I'll be one happy woman.

After I reserved this past Thursday (my original due-date) for moping around, we finally busted out and started partying Friday. Addison and I took a last minute jaunt on our own lunch date. What was on the menu? Any pregnant woman's dream:

FRIED PICKLES!! :D

I found a restaurant - Slim Chickens - that makes them soooo good. John's actually been a fan of the restaurant for many moons but I wasn't sold until I noticed the menu not only had fried pickles - but fried okra to boot! Lets just say I'm now a card carrying punch card holder....and it's already halfway filled. I've had many random cravings this pregnancy but this one beats them all. And I'm not even going to contemplate how many calories they contain - I'm just popping them back with not a care in the world.

I was tempted to call John and have him meet us at the restaurant for a last minute lunch but decided he was probably too busy. When Addison and I walked in to make our order, she kept saying "Daddy, Daddy" and I thought - that'd be hilarious if we just ran into him. I just assumed she associated the restaurant with him since he was usually with us when we came. But just as I stepped up to place my order, guess who sidled up next to us? Yep, Daddy! Addison must have wished him there. It was a fun excuse to enjoy a lunch date with Daddy and Brad and Addison and I. I even graciously offered one of my fried pickles to each person - just one of course. ;-)

Then, Friday night I spent moaning and groaning assuming the fried pickles were not sitting pretty with me. However, I soon realized it could likely be some mild contractions. I had a few symptoms to make me (and our wonderful Doula - Sarah) think so. It's not fun feeling crampy and nauseous but it did help spending the night wondering if this is how natural labor begins. John was a very good support and we laid around and timed them while dreaming if "this was really it!" Sadly, they went away but I did get some good sleep. And I'm not ready to discount the pains entirely - I still think something may be looming around the corner.

In the meantime, it definitely motivated me to step up my nesting gene Saturday. We've spent the morning getting LOTS done so now I feel better about leaving the house behind if the hospital calls our name. And if need be, I can even find a few more things to do before Thursday if little boy decides to wait longer.

So, in summary, I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude, keep myself busy, and not dwell on the fact that I'm still HUGELY pregnant. What's left on the horizon? A Girl's Night Out dinner/movie tonight, possibly church tomorrow, a last doctor's appointment on Monday for my non-stress test, a family FHE date night at Putt Putt on Monday night. Finishing the dwindling "to-do list". Plus, I'm sure I see more fried pickles in my future of course. And to think....at the end of it all, we'll FINALLY get to meet this little guy! Less than a week and counting! A very fun and exciting week at that! :D

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Due dates are a joke. I guess I can't say for sure since I only have one experience in this department, but my body likes my babies well done too I'm afraid. I feel for ya! Can't wait to meet this little guy.

Shannon said...

Oh bummer, I was hoping this was THE post! Hang in there girl, can't wait for the debut as well! Good luck, and definitely put more rest on that "to-do list"!

Josie said...

hip!hip! So excited for ya.

And I'm not really a big fan of pickles...but you can fry just about anything and put a side of ranch next to it and it looks divine.

Chelsea said...

Those fried pickles look delicious!
I am sorry you are miserable :(
Hope these next few days fly by for you! Can't wait to see pictures of your new addition! Yay!