Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Hills Are Alive...

No, technically we weren't frolicking through the daisies and hills belting this tune out at the top of our lungs....but we came close. Instead we were dining on dinner while enjoying the local rendition of the play at the Rogers Little Theater. Much better listening to THEM sing than us - not saying that a few in our group didn't give it their best shot though.

I had decided it was time we expose ourselves to the arts again so John and I booked tickets for our date-night outing to see "The Sound of Music" at the Rogers Little Theater. And luckily, we were able to talk Brad & Dana into joining us so we didn't have to make awkward dinner conversation with complete strangers (again). Brad's sister Jenny even joined us at the last minute to make our outing that much more exciting.

If you've ever seen plays on Broadway, this doesn't necessarily meet that "level" - but it is a nice break from the typical "movie/dinner date" every once in awhile. And we do have some pretty amazing local talent folks - whodathunk? My personal favorite was the little girl who played the role of the youngest child - Gretl. She was a.door.a.bull and could out-sing most of the cast to boot. I guess I'm always amazed when teeny tiny people can perform/sing so well.....especially when that is definitely NOT a talent of mine. It took all I could muster to not run up to the stage and squish her cute little cheeks or put her in my pocket and take her home w/me.

Neither John nor I had ever actually seen the movie or the play - and yes we were mocked repeatedly by our dinner guests/friends. I understood the general plot and knew most of the songs just by picking them up through the years but of course never knew where exactly they originated from until that night. Overall, we were pleasantly....pleased. It was a fun time and I'm glad we got to go and experience it. Every time we enjoy the arts, I always leave dreaming of a trip to Broadway to see more. My dream list consists of: Phantom, Les Mis, and Wicked (again). Hopefully someday I can go on the voyage and check those babies off my list....at least maybe even a traveling group?


Our captivating dinner company, Brad, Dana, and Jenny.


John and I. At this point, I was about to eat off my left arm I was starving so much. They send you through the buffet line one row at a time - and apparently we drew the short straw. Surely, they know what consequences that can have on a severely pregnant woman? I hope they got the picture as I managed to dish up enough portions to feed a small army when it was finally our turn.

0 comments: