Saturday, January 14, 2012

I Resolve

So, I'm still undecided on how I feel about making New Years resolutions. I know some people that think they are silly and some that take them seriously. I'm probably right in the middle of those people. I think mostly because I realize that everyone's "weight loss/exercise" goals always fade within the first few months of the year and nothing really changes. But I guess it's only considered failure if you stop trying right?

Well this year, I did go ahead and set a few goals for myself. Nothing majorly life impacting although the weight loss goal is definitely looming in the background. This year I wanted to set low-key goals since lets face it, surviving day to day of being a stay-at-home Mom of two kids is a feat in and of itself. Sometimes I consider it success when we make it to bedtime alive!

So what are my two goals you ask? Fairly simple:

1. I want to play with the kids more. Not just plop them in front of a t.v. show while I play on facebook. Not just send Addison off to play with toys by herself or have her bring toys to me while I sit on the couch. Like actually sit down on the floor, no T.V. on, and play. It's a work in progress. Most days I think I'm doing good. Some days aren't my best. Those are the days that I lay down by Addison while she plays and I try to keep my eyes open. ;-) But we've also had some great family hide-and-seek adventures too along with some great learning experiences while playing puzzles. Addison really enjoys having my attention so it's good motivation. It's also fun to get to know them without any distractions. I think I may actually enjoy achieving this goal!

2. Get ready (as in showered, dressed, make-up) everyday and it has to occur SOMETIME in the morning. Our usual routine has us up and going at 7:30 am and I've always been good about getting the kids dressed and ready for the day (even if we spend it all at home) but somewhere along the way I stop right before it's time to get me showered and ready. Mostly because it already takes SO long to even get out the door when all three of us have been dressed and fed. However, I've also noticed how much it affects my mood when I'm actually wearing clothes instead of pajamas and when my hair is actually fixed instead of in a greasy ponytail. So far I've been pretty good with this goal. There were a few days thrown in there where it just didn't happen but I'm pushing on!

And, I won't lie, I have a small goal to get back in shape and lose some poundage. I just don't want to make it my sole goal/priority. I'm hoping as I do that it will lead to doing more of the above goals as well.

So, now they have been documented in blog-land. So let it be done! :D

3 comments:

She Loves The Color Pink said...

Great goals!

What's up with the Walkers! said...

Souds just like me! I've been working on the shower thing for years now, still working on it:) I will say that getting up early to run three days a week is helping because I get exercise and then I have no choice but to shower:) you need a running buddy, that's the only reason I get out of bed! Just move up here and we'll both be able to reach our goals!

Meg + Taylor said...

Those are great goals Shannon and way better than the usual "get into shape". And I love your family picture on the top of your blog.